Bathroom sink faucet handle won't come off (stuck?)

Why does plumbing have to be so tricky?

I have a 2-handle Gerber bathroom sink faucet, looks like this one:

or

I need to replace the hot cartridge. So I removed the handle cap and unscrewed the handle.

But it still won't come off. Either it's stuck, or there's some funky other setscrew I know nothing about.

I'm afraid to keep pulling on it, because I might cause more damage that way.

I tried WD-40. No luck.

Any other ideas?

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

I've used these successfully. Don't know if it'll work on your faucet. That price is high. Think I paid 10 bucks at HD.

Vic Smith

There's no set screw.

You have a white metal faucet handle stuck onto a bronze cartridge stem.

After a long period of time, corrosion will cause these metals to seize to one another, making the handle hard to get off.

You just have to fight with the faucet knob. Wiggle it from left to right while pulling on it, pry up on it, use the faucet handle pullers if you have them, there's no easy solution here. You just have to keep working at the handle until it comes loose and comes off.

BUT, after you replace the hot cartridge, use antiseize compound between the cartridge stem male spline and the handle female spline to prevent your having this problem in future.

I literally have a hundred or more faucet knob in my building, and I use antiseize compound on every one of them to avoid the problem you're having with your faucet handle.

Reply to
nestork

You are correct to worry. For the sake of stability, the handle is attached to something sturdy, often a rock formation as much as 200 miles unnder your house.

If you pull too hard, you will displace the rocks and provide an outlet for geothermal steam and sometimes lava. Sometimes this will set fire to the house.

I use that all the time, but I don't remember it being recommended for this purpose. Like Oren, I think Liquid Wrench is definitely recommended. Put some on, Tap the metal piece a few times with something else metal and heavy, to make the piece vibrate and suck the liquid in as far as it will go. Wait until tomorrow. It might come loose then without causing lava problems.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Reply to
micky

What might help is to put a prybar or screw driver under two sides of the faucet handle. Pry one side and then the other alternately. Gently. Some times that won't shift the geological formation. Notify the Seismic department first, of course. Just in case. And keep a garden hose handy, in case of tectonic shift.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've only had a couple where I had to use the tool. Faucets were "fancy" old ones, and too close to tile walls. Banging on them past a certain point could have cost me a wall tear out. They were stubborn. Just replaced the disk washers.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Was curious that there might be a cartridge in a two handle fixture and googled this up:

Handle should not be a problem but that's the start and you may have further problems if corroded.

I've got Moen fixtures and replaced bath tub cartridge a few years ago at great peril. Needed so much force, I was afraid I might break a pipe or the fixture.

When I needed to do the one in my shower, I let a couple of jobs pile up and hired a plumber. He had to use a puller device.

Reply to
Frank

Moen cartridges can be hard to remove if you have hard water.

I've been told that if you have soft water, they're not a problem.

But, some companies do make pullers specifically for Moen cartridges if they're hard to get out.

Reply to
nestork

i tried the same puller no go. next step is the cutoff wheel to cut handle in half/

Reply to
kurt