How to make clear glass frosty

Next to my main entrance door there is a window - 10"W x 37.5"H - of clear glass. While it appears to be three distinctive windows, if I take off the decorative trim there is only a single 8.0" x 36.0" pane of glass. Presently, there is a sheer curtain offering a mild degree of privacy. Problem is, when I open the door the curtain drifts into the opening.

I could use an less sheer curtain and try to anchor it at the bottom with thumb tacks. My preferred approach is to stick some kind of Contact paper, with a frosty texture, to the glass. This will allow light passage and privacy. I can't find any such Contact paper.

Another possibility would be to replace the glass with a frosty version. It's only held in place with a caulking.

Any other suggestions?

As a separate issue, the glass is labelled "safety tempered." My concern is that a burglar could break the glass and reach in and unlock the deadbolt. I don't know how resistant the glass is to breaking. It's probably about 1/8" thick. I was considering replacing it with Lexan, although I don't know if that thickness would offer better resistance.

Thanks,

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

HI, Sand blast.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most any decent paint department at the Big Box stores or specialized paint store (Sherwin-Williams?) will have an aerosol paint that will "frost" the glass. I used it on my detached garage windows.

Safety tempered only means that when the glass breaks, it breaks into small pieces the size of small peas with no jagged edges like you would see if you dropped a mirror or glass bottle.

Lexan would certainly do the trick or decorative wrought iron grill.

Probably the easiest way to cure the problem if you have glass in the door or adjacent to it as you do (that glass is called a light) is to employ a double keyed deadbolt in the door.

Our doors are double locked when we leave the home and set the alarm. If somebody does break in, say through a window, in addition to dealing with the impending arrival of the police due to the alarm, they will also have to remove anything they are taking through the same window since they won't be able to easily open the doors.

I don't recommend using the double deadbolt when you're home. In case of a fire you don't want to be looking around for a key and leaving the key in the lock kinda defeats the purpose of the lock

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

TAP Plastics may have the self-adhesive film to roll onto your glass. Kep the tempered glass AND get a 'frosty' view.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I don't recommend doing that in situ. I did that to the wordwork inour home. Ten years later, was still getting little piles of sand falling of of ??.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I'd been thinking hydrofluoric acid, but that's dificult to find at Walmart.

Ought to be some window treatments in sheets of almost clear stuff, maybe Ace, or other small town hardware.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In my tinder trap, I leave the key on a shelf near the door. But out of arms reach.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why not buy a flat sheet light diffuser for a fluorescent light fixture from any lighting or home center, cut it into three pieces of the needed size and stick it to your existing glass panes with double sided mounting tape?

I just got off the phone with my local Home Depot, and they sell 5 different styles of 24 inch by 48 inch flat panel acrylic light diffusers for between 6 and 12 dollars each. All are white or colourless with a texture on them which scatters light in all directions, so when you look at the fluorescent light fixture you just see light, not the actual fluourescent tubes. This will allow outdoor light in while still ensuring privacy for those indoors.

Reply to
nestork

They sell a spray on window frost in the paint section at 'Depot / Lowe's that works well and can be removed in the future if needed. $5 or so and a few minutes to mask and spray will fix your problem.

Reply to
Pete C.

Tools

1-in and 2-in painter's tape for delicate surfaces Glass cleaner Utility or crafts knife

Materials

Valspar glass frosting spray paint, #105953

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If a burglar wants to break that glass, a spring loaded center punch will make it a pile of pebbles in one "punch". It won't even be that loud.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, Wet a piece of news paper sheet with water, cover the glass, one punch with gloved hand glass will break without making noise and won't make a mess with pieces. Learned from burglar.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Got to be more to that story....

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

cellmate?

Reply to
Pico Rico

He is not talking about tempered glass.

Reply to
gfretwell

It does exist. "Con-Tact® Brand Clear Covering Frosty? comes in a diamonds or white lace patterns. Use our Frosty? covering for windows to create privacy without sacrificing style or blocking light."

Susan

Reply to
Susan Bugher

Amazing, all the things you pick up, while doing time.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

  1. Get a can of photo retouching lacquer and spray a coat on the glass, it will become nice and frosty. I know of two manufacturers...McDonalds and Lacquermat. Can't find an URL for McDonalds but any photographic supply house should have it. Here's an URL for Lacquermat...
  2. If you want a totally permanent surface, you can frost it with fine valve grinding compount...get a small piece of glass, put compound on it, start rubbing/grinding it on the window. It will take a while :)

You might be able to do the same thing with silicon carbide sandpaper (wet or dry paper); I suspect so but have never done it, have done it with valve grinding compound.

Reply to
dadiOH

I tried that once when I needed to make a ground glass for a camera I was making. Didn't work, just ate the glass :( I wound up using valve grinding compound.

Sudden thought for OP: there are all sorts of spray products - besides the lacquer I suggested - for frosting glass.

Reply to
dadiOH

What do you recommend? In our old house had we used anything but a double deadbolt the thief would have gotten in and yes, were were home in bed. The key was in a place hanging, but out of reach to the window in the door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski