Removing Stuck Shower Handle

I have a Grohe shower unit installed by a previous owner. I want to inspect so I can get a replacement cartridge. I don't know the model number. There are 2 handles which need to be removed: the bottom controls the temperature [came off easily - minor lime deposits visible on the inside] and a smaller top knob which toggles water flow from the main shower head to a hand-held unit. I removed the only set screw but the smaller handle won't slide off. I assume it has a nice lime buildup on the stem. I don't want to brute force as Grohe parts are expensive. The handle is positioned so soaking with CLR would require great cleverness. Any suggestions on how to safely remove the handle? Thank you.
John Keiser
On 5/29/2018 10:47 PM, John Keiser wrote:

I vote for cleverness. Is it possible to hang a plastic bag filled with clr and tape it in place? I don't know if WD-40 would help, but it won't hurt.
On 5/29/2018 4:47 PM, John Keiser wrote:

Patience + CLR worked. I usually am not very patient but it was necessary for this. I added a bit of white grease on reassembly so next time might not be such a problem.
On 5/30/2018 5:32 PM, John Keiser wrote:

[snip]

Try some Lock-tite or Permatex anti-seize compound/lubricant. Great staying power in wet conditions, prevents corrosion, etc.
A little dab will do you - just don't use it on your hair! ;)
On 5/30/18 6:32 PM, John Keiser wrote:

I have an old bathroom with a couple of handles that I need to remove, but with the same problem.
Pardon my ignornance, but what is "CLR" ??
On 5/30/2018 9:07 PM, J.Albert wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:07:07 PM UTC-4, J.Albert wrote:

A product that has mild acid to dissolve mineral deposits. You can find it at HD, hardware store, maybe supermarkets too. Typically evaporating water leaves minerals behind that wind up binding the handle. It can also be corrosion. CLR is certainly worth a try and looks like it worked here.