stuck shower head

The subject line says it all. I do not have a lot of upper body strength.

I have tried:

1- channel lock wrench 2- grip lock wrench both wrenches at the same time in opposite directions 3- penetrating oil 4- WD-40 5- vinegar 6- CLR 7- heat (cigarette lighter)

Nothing has worked. I just tried to get the arm (from the wall) off and I can't do that either (turned water off first).

Does it sound like I need hire a plumber? It could be that I just don't have the strength but I must admit I have never had this difficulty before.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Reply to
nonamefornow

Seems like an abnormal situation. Most shower head assemblies are brass and usually can be removed with normal means and force. If you suspect the parts are corroded firmly together as old galvanized might be, then by all means summon pro help. It shouldn't be that long a job so the tab should be reasonable. Inquire ahead, though, if there might be a budget problem.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Your tools may be too short, it is amazing the ease that a longer (more leverage) tool will have in disassembling plumbing parts.

Reply to
EXT

You might try pushing in the wrong direction a bit to see if it moves that way. Sometimes that helps.

And...

With electrical problems a lot of time it's just that the plug came out of the wall and we forget to look. Happens to the best of us. With that in mind, is it possible you're pushing in the wrong direction?

Reply to
Shaun Eli

Your techniques:

#1: What size channel locks, these should have worked for you...

#2: Same as above, perhaps these tools were undersized for the application you were trying to use them in...

#3: And how on earth were you able to soak the threaded stub pipe connection located a few inches INSIDE the wall surface with any oil to have any hope of actually loosening it ?

#4: See #3, sounds like all you were doing was making the pipe more slippery and harder to remove...

#5: You aren't making a salad, what did you think 5% acetic acid solution would do to loosen a threaded connection you can not even see ?

#6: Well, if you dipped your shower head nozzle in CLR you were at least following directions... I have never heard of using such chemicals to loosen up a stuck threaded connection...

#7: ROFL... You think you applied any heat whatsoever to the pipe beyond a tiny area where you had the cigarette lighter? That is a good way to get burned, you need a MUCH larger heat source to have any effect at all, ever see how BIG a plumbing torch is?

As others here have said, you need to try turning it the opposite direction... If that fails you need to find someone stronger who will make the attempt under your supervision, if the stronger person can not get it loose then it wasn't going to be something you could have done yourself anyway and you need to call in the hired professional at that point...

Good luck...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan