Hansgrohe Shower Head Disassembly

I inherited an expensive handheld Hansgrohe Raindance shower head with my condo. It functions fine but excessive water flows around the rim of the head rather than through the jets. [This is not a connector issue.] Soaking in CLR did not help. I would like to disassemble and renew any O rings or whatever but there is no obvious non-destructive means. Hansgrohe is no help [and the warranty so limited as to be useless]. Has anyone ever done this? Hints? Thank you.

I would try the CLR again - perhaps several days of soaking & rinsing ? There's a <dreaded > Fixya link below ..
http://www.fixya.com/support/t12360456-purchased_hansgrohe_raindance_s_100
If it is iron deposits causing a blockage - Iron-Out or Iron-X are two products for removing iron deposits eg in water softeners .. Sometimes these devices are not meant to be taken apart ever - so damaging it - by trial & error might be worse than spending some more time & effort soaking it .. ? Good luck. John T.
On 8/9/2017 5:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Please explain how soaking will seal the leaking joints. No matter how long you soak, if the head is designed to deliver say 3 gpm through the jets and you have piping to supply it with 6 gpm, any openings will leak.
If the gaskets are shot or seams split, nothing is going to stop the leak other than sealing it.
On 8/9/2017 5:08 PM, John Keiser wrote:

I just googled your question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_aIT2RBkJ4

Youtube can be a primary source for not getting homeowner into trouble.
Good smoke btw... soak in a veg oil to soften the gaskets.
On 8/9/2017 12:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Yes, been there, done that. Hansgrohe only tells you how to soak to clean the jets. [In German, as well as English.] My jets are not clogged. Water is properly emitted from each jet. The issue is that excess water flows around the rim of the movable plate which holds the jets.
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 8:57:16 PM UTC-4, John Keiser wrote:

Like someone said, many of these things, even expensive ones, are not made to be taken apart and repaired. One indication would be if spare parts are available for the shower head. If not, it's a fair bet it's not meant to be serviceable. And from the description of the problem, it sounds like even if you can get it apart, it's going to need a new seal. If you can't find that online, taking it apart probably isn't going to solve the leaking. I've had a few of these over the years and haven't had one that comes apart to service. They last 5 or ten years, then it's time for another. Not sure how much better the more expensive ones are.
One problem with these in general is it's hard to figure out how good they are before it's too late. You can read reviews on Amazon, but there are so many brands and models, it's a big mess. And looking at them at HD doesn't do much, how they look and how well they work are two different things.
On 8/9/2017 4:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Oh, I agree completely. Amazon's price for a replacement is $149! I will, of course, just replace with a generic for a fraction of that price. Mostly interested in the tinkering aspect.
On 8/9/2017 10:39 PM, John Keiser wrote:

For the cost of an email you can ask if they service them. You never know how they may respond, even out of warranty.
If that does not work, one of the plumbing supply houses here has a bath showroom and you can try out various heads and hand helds on display. We ended up with Delta.
On 8/9/2017 4:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hansgrohe is the anti-Delta: they are not neither friendly nor helpful. Unless you are the original purchaser WITH THE ORIGINAL PROOF OF PURCHASE, you are SOL.
On 8/10/2017 3:57 PM, John Keiser wrote:

Good to know if I'm ever in the market for that type of product.
This shower head was recommended here a couple years ago so I tried one. It's the best shower head I've ever used AND it's under $10:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 04:38:07 -0400, Jason

Very interesting. With an "expert setup" it's $87 more, but the next line says he's a handyman. I don't think a handyman is an expert.
Either a master? plumber or an Sh.D. would be an expert (Doctor of Shower Heads)

+1
I remodeled a bathroom, and the plumber raved about Hansgrohe, and that's all he wanted to install. They are expen$ive. When all was said and done, yes, they looked nice, but I don't think they work any better or will last any longer than a Delta or Price Pfister. When they fail, you don't fix them, you replace them.
I don't care for the shower valve, because there's only one volume setting, which is full on. You can't adjust it for less volume. I didn't know that until it was installed and I first used it. It's a big water waster that cost around $400. The handle on it moves across a 180 degree arc (any position is full volume), but the first 140 degrees of arc is cold to slightly warm. The next 40 degrees of arc is warm to all hot. Ouch.
I'd leave it alone, or just get a run of the mill replacement. As you probably know, there are many that work fine at much less cost...$25 to $60 or so, depending on how many sprays you want. In the end, I end up using one spray anyway.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 02:40:52 -0000 (UTC), Boris

I've seen that sort of valve, used 'em, and I thought I was missing something, that it must be a good design. I guess not.

replying to trader_4, Will KIng wrote: March 15, 2018: Just came from the professional plumbing distributor. He told me there is a tool that fits into all the tiny hole in the black, center circle. That center is threaded and when unscrewed will allow access to some (not all ) of the inner workings and will allow better cleaning and diagnosing of the problem (water squirting out the sides of the outer ring). He had a similar tool for a Delta but none for HansGrohe. No mention of the tool in the HansGrohe website, big surprise. I will try to fabricate something and wreck this damned thing if nothing else. I bought a $30 shower wand just in case.
replying to trader_4, Will KIng wrote: March 15, 2018: Just came from the professional plumbing distributor. He told me there is a tool that fits into all the tiny hole in the black, center circle. That center is threaded and when unscrewed will allow access to some (not all ) of the inner workings and will allow better cleaning and diagnosing of the problem (water squirting out the sides of the outer ring). He had a similar tool for a Delta but none for HansGrohe. No mention of the tool in the HansGrohe website, big surprise. I will try to fabricate something and wreck this damned thing if nothing else. I bought a $30 shower wand just in case.
replying to John Keiser, Nanc wrote: I have the same problem with leaking around the rim. Tried soaking in vinegar and CLR with no success. I need a solution too!
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:44:10 PM UTC-5, Nanc wrote:

I think you already know the solution. You're hosed. I've had a few of these, not HG, but others and I've yet to see one that is designed to be taken apart so you can put a new seal in, or clean it out, etc. I have HG fixtures in most of the house. In the kitchen, the faucet sprayer head developed similar problems at about 15 years. I considered the options and went with a new Delta faucet. That lasted 10 years, now I'm on the next one, a Glacier Bay. If you go look at even $300 faucets and shower heads, from what I've seen, they are still mostly plastic, so not sure what those extra $$$ really get you. Something lower price, but still stylish, might be a better strategy, especially if you DIY and put in a new one.
On 3/4/2018 12:44 PM, Nanc wrote:

Easy. Take it to the plumbing supply and say "I want one of these made by Delta or Kohler"