[SOLVED] Hansgrohe Shower Head Disassembly

I inherited an expensive handheld Hansgrohe Raindance shower head with my condo. It functions fine but excessive water flows around the rim of the head rather than through the jets. [This is not a connector issue.] Soaking in CLR did not help. I would like to disassemble and renew any O rings or whatever but there is no obvious non-destructive means. Hansgrohe is no help [and the warranty so limited as to be useless]. Has anyone ever done this? Hints? Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

I would try the CLR again - perhaps several days of soaking & rinsing ? There's a Fixya link below ..

If it is iron deposits causing a blockage - Iron-Out or Iron-X are two products for removing iron deposits eg in water softeners .. Sometimes these devices are not meant to be taken apart ever - so damaging it - by trial & error might be worse than spending some more time & effort soaking it .. ? Good luck. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I just googled your question:

Youtube can be a primary source for not getting homeowner into trouble.

Reply to
Frank

Good smoke btw... soak in a veg oil to soften the gaskets.

Reply to
Thomas

Yes, been there, done that. Hansgrohe only tells you how to soak to clean the jets. [In German, as well as English.] My jets are not clogged. Water is properly emitted from each jet. The issue is that excess water flows around the rim of the movable plate which holds the jets.

Reply to
John Keiser

Please explain how soaking will seal the leaking joints. No matter how long you soak, if the head is designed to deliver say 3 gpm through the jets and you have piping to supply it with 6 gpm, any openings will leak.

If the gaskets are shot or seams split, nothing is going to stop the leak other than sealing it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I imagine you've thought about the opposite approach. Set the shower head to whatever setting you like. Seal it in place with whatever epoxy or glue you think will hold.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Like someone said, many of these things, even expensive ones, are not made to be taken apart and repaired. One indication would be if spare parts are available for the shower head. If not, it's a fair bet it's not meant to be serviceable. And from the description of the problem, it sounds like even if you can get it apart, it's going to need a new seal. If you can't find that online, taking it apart probably isn't going to solve the leaking. I've had a few of these over the years and haven't had one that comes apart to service. They last 5 or ten years, then it's time for another. Not sure how much better the more expensive ones are.

One problem with these in general is it's hard to figure out how good they are before it's too late. You can read reviews on Amazon, but there are so many brands and models, it's a big mess. And looking at them at HD doesn't do much, how they look and how well they work are two different things.

Reply to
trader_4

Oh, I agree completely. Amazon's price for a replacement is $149! I will, of course, just replace with a generic for a fraction of that price. Mostly interested in the tinkering aspect.

Reply to
John Keiser

trader_4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

+1

I remodeled a bathroom, and the plumber raved about Hansgrohe, and that's all he wanted to install. They are expen$ive. When all was said and done, yes, they looked nice, but I don't think they work any better or will last any longer than a Delta or Price Pfister. When they fail, you don't fix them, you replace them.

I don't care for the shower valve, because there's only one volume setting, which is full on. You can't adjust it for less volume. I didn't know that until it was installed and I first used it. It's a big water waster that cost around $400. The handle on it moves across a 180 degree arc (any position is full volume), but the first 140 degrees of arc is cold to slightly warm. The next 40 degrees of arc is warm to all hot. Ouch.

I'd leave it alone, or just get a run of the mill replacement. As you probably know, there are many that work fine at much less cost...$25 to $60 or so, depending on how many sprays you want. In the end, I end up using one spray anyway.

Reply to
Boris

For the cost of an email you can ask if they service them. You never know how they may respond, even out of warranty.

If that does not work, one of the plumbing supply houses here has a bath showroom and you can try out various heads and hand helds on display. We ended up with Delta.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This shower head was recommended here a couple years ago so I tried one. It's the best shower head I've ever used AND it's under $10:

Jason

Hansgrohe is the anti-Delta: they are not neither friendly nor helpful. Unless you are the original purchaser WITH THE ORIGINAL PROOF OF PURCHASE, you are SOL.

Reply to
John Keiser

Good to know if I'm ever in the market for that type of product.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Very interesting. With an "expert setup" it's $87 more, but the next line says he's a handyman. I don't think a handyman is an expert.

Either a master? plumber or an Sh.D. would be an expert (Doctor of Shower Heads)

Reply to
micky

I've seen that sort of valve, used 'em, and I thought I was missing something, that it must be a good design. I guess not.

Reply to
micky

PC 11 is white and sticks to wet things. Even when they're wet, but I'd let it dry.

Reply to
micky

The cutaway image here shows why that idea won't work:

It looks to me like the joint around the rim is supposed to suck in air. Some internal fault is allowing a lot of water to spill out.

Reply to
John Keiser

John Keiser posted for all of us...

John, the image you quote shows exactly what you posted. The OP should abandon this POS and get a Kohler, AS or similar.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ha! I am the OP! Of course, I would stick with a normal Delta, Kohler, etc. were I buying or replacing such a unit. The shower has a mounted unit which works fine, and this handheld device. So not essential. I was seeking advice before I destructively disassemble for fun. Thanks to all responders.

Reply to
John Keiser