[SOLVED] Hansgrohe Shower Head Disassembly

replying to John Keiser, Vito wrote: Hey John just wondering how you made out with the hansgrohe shower head tear down! I want to rip mine apart too did you manage to get it back together. Any advice on tear down, I'm assuming it pop"s off as a complete unit and gets pressed in again if you can find all the parts that fly or fall out of it ......hahahaha let me know if you have some time, Vito

Reply to
Vito

replying to Vito, jabarebird wrote: Hi there - I have the same problem with water leaking from around the rim - wondered if you ever found the cause or resolution. Good luck!!

Reply to
jabarebird

replying to John Keiser, RobbD wrote: Your water pressure is at 6 GGM, IIRC. Your shower head is rated at 2 GGM. You can easily add an inexpensive water volume control valve that fits between the shower pipe extending through the wall, then attach your shower head or hose to the output side. These valves are fully adjustable, reduce the water flow to an acceptable level, and will probably prevent leakage from around the perimeter of the shower head. Take a look at the following valve. Easy peasy!

Reply to
RobbD

replying to John Keiser, Nanc wrote: I have the same problem with leaking around the rim. Tried soaking in vinegar and CLR with no success. I need a solution too!

Reply to
Nanc

I think you already know the solution. You're hosed. I've had a few of these, not HG, but others and I've yet to see one that is designed to be taken apart so you can put a new seal in, or clean it out, etc. I have HG fixtures in most of the house. In the kitchen, the faucet sprayer head developed similar problems at about 15 years. I considered the options and went with a new Delta faucet. That lasted 10 years, now I'm on the next one, a Glacier Bay. If you go look at even $300 faucets and shower heads, from what I've seen, they are still mostly plastic, so not sure what those extra $$$ really get you. Something lower price, but still stylish, might be a better strategy, especially if you DIY and put in a new one.

Reply to
trader_4

Easy. Take it to the plumbing supply and say "I want one of these made by Delta or Kohler"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to trader_4, Will KIng wrote: March 15, 2018: Just came from the professional plumbing distributor. He told me there is a tool that fits into all the tiny hole in the black, center circle. That center is threaded and when unscrewed will allow access to some (not all ) of the inner workings and will allow better cleaning and diagnosing of the problem (water squirting out the sides of the outer ring). He had a similar tool for a Delta but none for HansGrohe. No mention of the tool in the HansGrohe website, big surprise. I will try to fabricate something and wreck this damned thing if nothing else. I bought a $30 shower wand just in case.

Reply to
Will KIng

replying to trader_4, Will KIng wrote: March 15, 2018: Just came from the professional plumbing distributor. He told me there is a tool that fits into all the tiny hole in the black, center circle. That center is threaded and when unscrewed will allow access to some (not all ) of the inner workings and will allow better cleaning and diagnosing of the problem (water squirting out the sides of the outer ring). He had a similar tool for a Delta but none for HansGrohe. No mention of the tool in the HansGrohe website, big surprise. I will try to fabricate something and wreck this damned thing if nothing else. I bought a $30 shower wand just in case.

Reply to
Will KIng

replying to John Keiser, V.Bireta wrote: to repair hansgrohe selecta shower head

Reply to
V.Bireta

replying to John Keiser, V.Bireta wrote: to repair hansgrohe selecta shower head

Reply to
V.Bireta

replying to V.Bireta, jeffs555 wrote: I have a Hansgrohe Monsoon Turbo3 that is very old, and I did take it apart by unscrewing the center section. Mine had 3 small holes in the center section that were not all the way thru and appeared to be for disassembling with a special tool. I took a piece of wood and drilled three 0.065" holes spaced correctly and put 3 two penny nails and then ground off the points. Worked like a charm. Unscrewed the center section and some gears and a plastic turbine were under it and they just lifted out. That exposed a straight slotted screw which I unscrewed and that let all the other pieces come out. I have seen the same 3 tool holes in pictures of other Hansgrohe shower heads.

Reply to
jeffs555

replying to John Keiser, sergio wrote: John. Not sure if you solved it already but I have the same shower head and exactly the same problem. I was about to open it with brute force when I read thia thread and decided not to. Instead, I unscrewed the head, cleaned the little filter (was really dirty) and then proceeded to wash the head with just soap and water (using a toothbrush). The calcium does not come out easy but with some force it will go in 5 min. Assembled everything back and the problem was solves. High Pressure and no side leaking. Hope This helps

Reply to
sergio

Soaking in vinegar will dissolve calcium and similar deposits.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to John Keiser, HeelsFan wrote: I have experienced a similar problem. We have a number of these in a relatively large hotel company. It is our shower head spec. Hansgrohe has sent out local representatives to look at these in different cities no less. They have no explanation as to what is causing it and have shown little interest in trying to determine a cause. My guess is that they know they have a serious problem and are hoping people will just ignore it.

Reply to
HeelsFan

replying to HeelsFan, Maxnimal wrote: I had the same problem with this shower head. It is a leak around the rim of the head and not related to calcium buildup. To disassemble you do not need to unscrew the center cap with the 3 jets and 3 small holes. You need to take off the very center small cap that says "AIR" on it. I used a sharp knife blade to pry it off. This cap covers a bolt that once removed will allow the head to come apart. The problem was a central clear seal that had a bent edge. Reseat the seal, put the head back together and that should take care of the problem. Hope this helps the next person trying to resolve this common problem.

Reply to
Maxnimal

replying to John Keiser, JBS wrote: Hi John. Did you ever disassemble the Hansgrohe shower head? I have Croma model and would also like to take apart and change o ring. Krgds JBS, Oslo Norway.

Reply to
JBS

replying to Westcoast, Tbird wrote: I found the same thing when I opened the head. I don’t know where to buy a new one and I don’t think reseating it will work. Have you had any luck finding the seal (gasket)? Also mine was black not white/clear.

Reply to
Tbird

replying to Nanc, ELM wrote: I have the same problem as well. I've soaked several times with no success.

Reply to
ELM

This thread has been going on for a couple of years now. Simple fix, Trash it and buy a Moen or Delta head and you are good for life.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They are all good for life, the only question is it the life of the shower part or your life? The problem with all these spray things is that over time they get mineral deposits, the seals start to go, etc. And the ones I've seen have not been designed to be serviceable. Another approach is to buy modest cost ones and expect to replace them every 5 years or so.

Reply to
trader_4