Three-Handle Shower Diverter Valve Removal

Do I need to shut off the water supply before removing just the diverter valve in a three-handle shower installation? Or can I just leave the hot and cold faucets turned off and pull the diverter?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

No need to shut off the main valve. The diverter is after the hot and cold shower valves.

Reply to
trader_4

Are you referring to the main? If yes, then no. All you need to do is turn off the hot and cold valves on the lines to the shower. If that's what you were referring, then yes.

Reply to
Meanie

Follow the pipes from the tub as far back to determine if there are shut off valves on those single lines. If not, then you're only choice is to shut off from the main, unless by chance, there are valves that shut off sections which the tub may be a part. If you need to use the main and plan to have it off for an extended period of time, then I suggest you use this opportunity to install valves on each pipe (hot and cold) to the tub, then turn on the main with the two new valves both turned off to do your replacement/repair.

Reply to
Meanie

Cutoff valves are a good suggestion!

Unfortunately though, the fiberglass one-piece tub/shower enclosure water supply pipes go down to a really nasty and very difficult to access dirt crawl space. The floor joists and pipes there vary from about two to 14 feet above the hard-pack dirt.

If it comes to valve installation, it's going to be 1-800-PLUMBER ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

There is no need to shut off the main if all he's working on is the diverter valve. The diverter is AFTER the two faucet valves.

unless by chance, there are valves that shut off

Just sounds like extra work for little gain to me.

Reply to
trader_4