shower diverter not diverting

the bath tub water spout/spigot has a pull-up knob to get water to the shower head. it's not closing fully, and about half the water is still bypassing the shower and ending up in the bathtub.

Is there a fix/repair for this? or should I go and buy a new spout only? The fixtures are only 10 years old, so I'm surprised it's failing already...

I'm good at DIY, so I'm willing to fiddle a littlw with this..

Reply to
barbie gee

In general, they are not repairable. Get another. You'll need to get the old one off first to get an exact match as there are several types. Some have a setscrew underneath and slip on; others have pipe threads.

If it's threaded on, there is some risk of twisting the pipe, especially if copper. If there is an access panel so you can see behind, have a helper watch as you unscrew the spout.

Use teflon tape on the threads and be sure to caulk the spout to the wall.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I looked at it some more today. there's a notch at the bottom of the spout nearest the wall, but I don't SEE a set screw in there. I used a flashlight and a magnifying mirror to look under there. I also looked up the spout, and I can see that the diverter part that closes the water flow is plastic...

would the set screw be right in the notch, if there is one?

I think I may have to go to the local home despot, and look at some stuff in boxes....

Reply to
barbie gee

Yes, the setscrew would be visible in the notch. The notch may be there just to drain excess water. Good idea to have a look-see. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim