can't remove tub spout

I'm trying to replace my old tub spout, but can't get the darned thing off.= There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. I applied quit= e a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would not budge, though = I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it makes a differenc= e, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter is a button just belo= w the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

I read in a previous post about applying heat, though I'm a bit nervous abo= ut using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though I'm no= t sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out of the wal= l (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd like to preserve in o= rder to put the replacement onto.

This all in a big plastic tub/shower surround.

What are my best options to resolve this problem short of calling a plumber= ?

Thanks.

-J

If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

The likely worst case is you'll spin the pipe out of the wall where you can work on the spout with a couple pipe wrenches.

Use plumbers putty on the threads at re/install. A lifetime supply is less than $2. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Cut most of it off and CLR it.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. I applied quite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would not budge, though I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it makes a difference, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter is a button just below the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out of the wall (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd like to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

Don't use force, get a bigger wrench.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. I applied quite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would not budge, though I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it makes a difference, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter is a button just below the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out of the wall (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd like to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

Might have to. Can't imagine a tub spout not yielding to a 14" Whatever, the OP would be best off if he opens the wall on the other side so he can get a bite on the valve assembly. Hope he's got the water turned off before the faucet.

Reply to
Vic Smith

thing off. There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on typ= e. I applied quite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would = not budge, though I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it= makes a difference, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter= is a button just below the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

us about using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though = I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out = of the wall (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd lik= e to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

I'd take a sawsall to the spout and see if I could remove some of the spout= behind where it screws on to the pipe coming out of the wall. That would = let you get a look at it. And possibly soak it down with wd40 or other che= micals.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

d thing off. There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on t ype. I applied quite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing woul d not budge, though I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it makes a difference, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the divert er is a button just below the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

vous about using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - thoug h I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking ou t of the wall (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd l ike to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

ut behind where it screws on to the pipe coming out of the wall. That woul d let you get a look at it. And possibly soak it down with wd40 or other c hemicals.

I just found out that my tub spout is design without a pipe to go into it. IT has some type of fountain thingy attach to it. so I'm screwed unless I c an find a tub spout that was used the in the mid 70's that did not need a p ipe to be inside the actual tub spout

Reply to
ringthembellssaint

Been a year and a half. Did that penetrating oil work in, yet?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

f. There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. I applied qu ite a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the thing would not budge, thoug h I could feel the whole pipe assembly moving. In case it makes a differe nce, there's no diverter on the tub spout, the diverter is a button just be low the shower knob on the shower knob assembly.

bout using a propane torch, or possibly cutting the spout off - though I'm not sure how I could do that without ruining the pipe sticking out of the w all (is that that what's called the nipple?), which I'd like to preserve in order to put the replacement onto.

Most of the advice given online regarding this miserable situation is horri ble!!! Is there not an expert who knows how these poorly designed spouts a re manufactured and designed for installation AND removal????? Because of t he lack of credible information, I am going to cut the copper pipe, then so lder a threaded fitting back in place on the copper pipe so the end result is being able to screw the new fixture back into place tight against the wa ll for easy removal in the future! This is crazy!!!

Reply to
stallman