Groaning TUB SPOUT ?????

Some time ago I bought a new tub spout from Home Depot. The old one was getting slowly eaten by the water after 20 years.

Never had a problem with the old spout. No problem with the new spout UNTIL....

I try to put on the shower head by pulliing up the button on the tub spout.

Then I get this HORRIFIC groan .

I jiggle the button ON AND OFF. I hold it with my finger. I wiggle it from side to side, etc.

Eventually it STOPS groaning.

I say it is a LOUSY tub spout that looks like the problem goes away when things heat up and expand from the hot water.

After the INITIAL startup of the shower head, things are fine.

I was afraid that if I let the GROAN and VIBRATION continue, it would LOOSEN the pipes.

I have NO problems with water hammer, etc. - only this problem with the "new" tub spout. It is now almost 2 years old and the problem has not gone away. I have just learned to work with the problem.

The shower faucet is a single handle and there are no drips and no water hammer or groans when using the water for the tub - just the water diverter on the tub spout.

I am planning on getting a new spout.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

Hi,

The seal on the tub/shower diverter is faulty. It is new or I'd say replace the washer on it but it sounds like you might have a slightly warped diverter or faucett seal so a new one is best. Make sure you get credit on the piece of junk.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

What happens if you jam the palm of your hand over the outlet of the spout to block off the outlet and direct all of the water to the shower head?

If that stops the groan immediately, then I'll go along with it being something wrong with the diverter valve in that "new" spout.

If it doesn't, then you probably have a loose washer in the single handle valve, and there was just enough difference in the new spout to trigger the noise, or maybe due to IPIA* the noise just decided to show up at the same time as you changed out the spout.

If the noise does stop immediately upon blocking the outlet with your hand, then your diagnosis is likely correct, you've got a defective spout, so buy yourself a holiday present and get another one.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

  • IPIA - The innate perversity of inanimate objects....

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia