Tap won't stay up in shower/Tub

Hi, I have a shower/tub in one. Its where you pull the little chrome bar up on the tap and the water then comes out of the shower head above. However the little chrome bar will no longer stay up and therefore the water will only come out of the tap in the tub and nothing comes out of the shower head. I noticed just before it broke my little 1 year old had his finger in the tap portion, but I have no idea what he did to it. Its a fairly new tub only about 2 years old. I believe its Moen, but can't guarantee that.

Reply to
car crash

A quick search on Home Depot's website shows diverter spouts for as little as $21.66. Remove and replace. Or possibly the kid jammed something up there. Take it off and take a look - should be a set- screw on the spout somewhere to remove it.

Jerry

Reply to
JerryM

The spout most likely just screws onto a pipe sticking out of the wall. Twist hard counterclockwise, and it should come out.

It's common to have mineral buildup inside the spout, which interferes with the diverter. You can try soaking the spout in hot vinegar, but new spouts start under $10.

Use Teflon tape when you put it back on.

Reply to
SteveBell

Look for a set screw before twisting.

Reply to
Pat

It's typically the water pressure that holds the lever up. When you engage the lever, the pressure against the back of the flap blocks the path for the water and it is forced upward to the shower.

Is it possible that your son has somehow disengaged the flap so it's not stopping the water any more?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks all, I got it fixed. It appears the diverter was slightly loose.

Reply to
car crash