Moen Shower Knob : Screw Won't Come out

Have a single knob Moen shower assembly, the kind you pull out to turn on the water and turn left and right for temperature control. I believe the knob is broken as it turns completely around but doesn't change the temperature. When I pop off the cover I get the screw to turn and turn but it never completely comes out. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jeffy3

Sounds like it might be possible that the shaft is spinning. Sometimes you can slide the cover under the knob back and see the shaft. You may be able to drill the screw head off. Otherwise you might have to carefully break the knob so that you can remove it from the shaft. Moen has a lifetime warranty on most of their stuff. But it will be a lot easier if you can fix it without simply replacing the whole thing. Unless you can get at it from behind.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Thanks for the answers. If the shaft is spinning is that another problem to be worried about? Does the fact that I can change the temperature of the water by turning the screw help with diagnosing the problem, or is that to be expected? If I break off the old knob, won't I still be unable to get a new one on without getting that screw out?

Reply to
Jeffy3

Yes, that does change the diagnosis. It sounds like turning the screw is operating the valve as designed. The problem is likely that the plastic ribs or flat spot inside the knob is stripped out causing the knob to simply spin on the shaft. You need to get the plastic knob off and without seeing it it is difficult to advise you. I think that if you can get the knob off then you should be able to grip the metal shaft with some pliers and then loosen the screw.

I don't know how you can get the knob off except to break it. A very small chisel applied to the knob plastic around the screw head perhaps? Or a cutting bit in a dremel? Just some thoughts.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yes, that does change the diagnosis. It sounds like turning the screw is operating the valve as designed. The problem is likely that the plastic ribs or flat spot inside the knob is stripped out causing the knob to simply spin on the shaft. You need to get the plastic knob off and without seeing it it is difficult to advise you. I think that if you can get the knob off then you should be able to grip the metal shaft with some pliers and then loosen the screw.

I don't know how you can get the knob off except to break it. A very small chisel applied to the knob plastic around the screw head perhaps? Or a cutting bit in a dremel? Just some thoughts.

My thoughts also. Use Dremel or a hacksaw blade. .Cut into knob a ways and then stick a screwdriver into slot and twist to crack knob and remove. WW

Reply to
WW

Thanks so much. When I get home I will try this! BTW, it's the teardrop shaped knob.

Reply to
Jeffy3

Pull out on the knob as hard as you can without breaking it while turning the screw out.

If it comes apart and a new screw works you are OK, if not you need to replace the shaft.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I would not expect that to work. The shaft is spinning inside the knob. There is a remote chance that pushing the knob sideways while turning the screw would work.

Moen will send a free knob if you can figure out the model number and tell them you are the original owner.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Try pushing in hard on the knob. If the knob will push back on the spline, you may be able to hold the knob inward (holding the shaft spline) and gently back the screw all the way out. Only then pull the knob off.

Reply to
Mr.E

Guess I got that backwards. I thought the shaft only turned as far as it normally would from hot to cold and then stop... then the threads were stripped and wouldn't come out with forward pressure on it.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

The OP might be able to grab the shaft behind the knob with a small vice grip or other type of small pliers, and remove the screw.

Reply to
bud--

replying to Tony Miklos, Mike the non plumber wrote: I have exactly this same problem, but I don't see a successful resolution to this problem but many ideas to get the wheels in my mind turning.. . One thing I did try was pulling hard on the handle while turning the screw only to realize I didn't turn the water off first. Will be drying off tonight and trying again.

Reply to
Mike the non plumber

replying to Jeffy3, LisaMM wrote: This is an old post, but I have an answer for those who come after me. It really helped me to find the problem wasn't just me. Okay, so basically the screw is screwed into something that turns behind it. When you think you are turning the screw, if it's corroded, chances are you aren't - you actually are turning the thing behind it. It's a no-win situation. That screw is never going to come off. Here's what I ended up doing. Some variation of this is probably what you need, depending on the tools you have on hand. I took a Dremel tool and sliced the head of the screw off. Then, I slid the plastic faucet handle off. Now you can actually see the problem. You can also slide the other parts behind that easily slide off for better access. You see a piston like thing. I have a small vise that latches on to a table. I took it off our workbench (it's relatively small) and clamped that thing on to the screw really tight. Then, I took pliers or a wrench and held the piston thing firm so that it didn't twist and unwound the screw with the vise. Plenty of trial and error and cussing, but this method without the error and the cussing worked like a charm, albeit it was never what Moen would recommend. Good luck!

Reply to
LisaMM

the head of the screw off. Then, I slid the plastic faucet handle off. Now you can actually see the problem. You can also slide the other parts behind that easily slide off for better access. You see a piston like thing. I have a small vise that latches on to a table. I took it off our workbench (it's relatively small) and clamped that thing on to the screw really tight. Then, I took pliers or a wrench and held the piston thing firm so that it didn't twist and unwound the screw with the vise. Plenty of trial and error and cussing, but this method without the error...

Curious if you needed to replace the cartridge as well as the knob? I had a similar issue but am hesitate to slab a new knob on if it wasn't the core of the issue.

Reply to
Jennifer

replying to Jeffy3, USAcourts.com wrote: I have a pull out Meon shower devise. I took off the middle insert but can’t get the screw to turn. The reason I’m wanted to get it off is to clean the knob. It has black stuff inside the knob and I want to clean it. Any ideas???

Reply to
USAcourts.com

replying to Jeffy3, USAcourts.com wrote: I just need to unscrew the screw to get the knob off the clean. The screw has been on there for along time. It’s just like a knob in the bathroom when it breaks. You pop off the middle and unscrew it and replace it.

Reply to
USAcourts.com