painting stainless steel hose clamps

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit differently than zinc based metals.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Rinse them off in lacquer thinner and shoot them with lacquer.

Reply to
gfretwell

Try Krylon Plastic Spray cans. (after cleaning good) I have found it to stick to all things I have tried. Give it plenty of cure time before handling. WW

Reply to
WW

Whatever paint you decide on rough up the surface a bit so there's some tooth for the paint to grab. Sandpaper or steel wool will work, or acid etch the stainless with heated ferric chloride if you want to take the trouble to get all the nooks and crannies.

RicodJour

Hit send too quickly - you could also return what you bought and buy black stainless hose clamps.

RicodJour

They are stainless. So they don't want the paint to stain them. Would you?

That doesn't mean you can't paint them.

Reply to
mm

I don't see the size that I need on this black clamp you mentioned. 5/16

- 3/8, not sure if this size will fit. I need #8 (7/16 - 29/32).

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Oddly enough research does take some effort. ;)

RicodJour

On 3/14/2011 6:47 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

Other suggestions here are good (basically get as clean as possible w/solvent, then spray with either lacquer or oil-based spray paint). I would only add that you might try baking them after painting (somewhere in the 150-200 degree range) to toughen up the paint coat. Won't help it to stick, but should make it more resistant to chipping.

Maybe try baking just one and see if it's worth it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

in a regular cooking oven?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

oil based spray paint, any suggestion on that one.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

I'm not sure what your point is....

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Painting hoses clamps - excuse me - doesn't sound like a good idea. The slots will chip, the screw slot or hex will chip, and maybe the strap will chip when it's bent. Gonna look real ugly. Maybe after they're on you could tape and spray then. Or just brush some paint on. It's a hose clamp, nobody cares if it real pretty.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I agree. Doesn't matter what you do, paint is not going to stick wortha crap and it's going to get all chipped off when the hose clamp is loosened and tightened.

Reply to
jamesgangnc