rusty stainless steel self tapping screws

I bought some stainless steel self tapping screws off Amazon.

M3 x 8mm Stainless Steel Cross pan Head Self Tapping Screws.

Within a month they'd gone rusty . The stainless steel tube I tapped them into is rust-free. Country of origin was China.... Anyone know of a better supplier ?

The zinc plated screws I used on another bit of the project were good.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Did you test them with a magnet to see if they really were stainless ?

Reply to
Andrew

Brian Howie explained on 16/07/2022 :

Complain to the seller as a first step.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

on 16/07/2022, Andrew supposed :

Not all stainless are none magnetic.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

all the stainless screws, threaded bars, washers etc that I have ever bought seem to be non-magnetic though. It's one of the things I always check after purchase when I get home.

Ditto any screws claiming to be 'solid' brass - always test them individually with a magnet.

Reply to
Andrew

They stick to a magnet. Some types of SS do.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

They only started rusting after the return period was over - neat eh ? I did complain though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

I vaguely recall two statements from our lecturer on "Properties of Materials"

1) The world is not made of mild steel 2) Stainless steel is often neither stainless nor steel

This was c1967

Reply to
AnthonyL

I used to take a magnet into B&Q when wanting to buy brass screws, because some numpty on the staff didn't know the difference between brass and brass-coated, and the packets were all muddled up on the same display.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

AnthonyL brought next idea :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Although fasteners are usually made from 304 or 316 stainless steel. 316 can be used wherever non-magnetic materials are required and 304 is only very marginally more magnetic.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Even highly resistant stainless steel, like 316, can rust if kept or used in damp conditions with a limited supply of oxygen.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

So complain to Amazon - you still have your statutory rights even if the

30 day return window is closed, since the product was obviously not fit for purpose or of a merchantable quality.
Reply to
John Rumm

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Indeed. The stainless steel of our cutlery knives occasionally come out of the dishwasher spotted with rust. I guess the blades are a hardenable mix whereas the handles, forks and spoons are not.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The stainless steel tube is unblemished. It's been sitting in a damp garage for 25 years. Must check if it's magnetic. No-one's answered my question, but hey this is USENET ;-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Any information I have on fastening suppliers is getting on for two decades out of date. What I had then was a place in a large factory unit, filled with anonymous brown boxes, which invariably had what I wanted somewhere. Gone when I last went past that industrial estate.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

This place has a good reputation and I think they can do mail order:

John Rumm

304N doesn't rust, we use it extensively at Sellafield.
Reply to
jon

Also BAPP Industrial Supplies Ltd. I've had stainless M6 machine screws, washers, and nuts, and they've been fine.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright