Source for long self tapping screws?

I need some s/tapping screws, 2" no8s would be perfect, but I can't find anything longer than 1.5". Any suggestions?

BTW, they're to fix up a curtain rail. In our house the lintels have a small wooden batten clipped to them, just below the plaster skim coat, but if you fix into the batten the curtain weight eventually moves it a little and the plaster cracks. I always drill through the lintel and use long s/tappers - but now I've used them all. This type of lintel must be fairly common, what do other people do?

Reply to
Dave

Never seen that problem. The batten must be loose behind the plaster...

Drill and tap the lintel with an M5 tap. The length of the tap can be a problem but usually something workable can be sorted out.

DG

Reply to
Derek *

Have you tried this:

(That's for T-star which I think is fantastic :-))

or this if you want "normal" screws:

8s are about 4mm aren't they? :-)

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

All the windows in the house have been the same. When we had a wndow moved I saw that the batten just clips to the lintel, so I guess it's a duff design.

I'd wondered about tapping but, as you say, it's a bit deep for standard taps. If I can't find any 50mm s/tappers I'll look-around for a long tap.

Reply to
Dave

Thanks but these are wood screws rather than self tapping screws - despite that I'll probably buy some for other uses so thanks for the link.

Yes, old habits die hard.

Reply to
Dave

================ Have look at:

are 12s but may be suitable.

Watch out for the postage if you're not already aware of it!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero