Painting black gas pipe white: doable?

I have a design in mind for some shelves using black gas pipe & fittings as the frame (basically the pipe with floor flanges attached to wooden shelves). I'd like to paint them a gloss white. Anyone know if this stuff will accept paint w/o a major PITA prep? Alternatively, I could go with the galvanized, a bit more $$$ but not enough to worry about. I'm guessing though the galvanized would be even harder to get paint to stick to.

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Hardest part is cleaning the pipe. It often has a lot of oil on it from handling when threaded. Can be painted though, any good enamel will do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed-Thanks for the quick reply. I see what you mean about the oil. What would you suggest to clean it, lacquer thinner?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Denatured alcohol or electronic grade isopropyl (not rubbing alcohol) or methanol. I clean just about everything metal with alcohol before painting. If there is a lot of oil, water and soap first will get most of it, then rinse with alcohol and dry immediately with a torch to prevent rust.

Paint will stick to galvanized just fine, the surface will be more textured though. A primer with either kind of pipe wouldn't hurt. Galvanized will still give superior rust resistance even compared to painted black pipe.

A can of spray paint and a tarp should be all you need for setup

Reply to
PipeDown

Thanks for the great reply. Denatured alcohol it is. I don't know why I was thinking paint wouldn't stick to galvanized. If anything, the slightly "pebbly" surface would be a good look with the gloss white. believe it or not, these are going in the living room ;-0

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Try different things until it feels, looks and smells clean. This is real life, not a video game. Learn to observe.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Piss off

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Just remember that some of these things are flammable and should be done outside. For the first wash, use some dish detergent and rinse with water, then the solvents.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Painting galvanised usually goes better if it is given a bit of 'tooth' first. A wash of vinegar will do it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks Harry, great tip! I do think the galvanized might be to go.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks Ed, yeah definitely an outside job!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Huh? I might agree that some 'tooth' may be worthwhile but how would vinegar give tooth to galvanized pipe?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Vinegar should not etch galvinized steel but in and of itself would also be a reasonable cleaner for cutting oil (it is used in many window cleaners). It would also help remove scale if you dared to use used pipe.

Primer will give it plenty of tooth.

BTW Have you seen cold galvinizing spray. It is basically zinc spraypaint and can be used as a primer directly on steel.

Reply to
PipeDown

Vinegar is a mild acid so I suppose that is why. It probably also acts as a cleaner. I saw that tip way back in the ice ages and have used it several times. Always got a good job without primer. Does it work? I don't know if it does give 'tooth' but I haven't had any failures doing it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K