White, Black, Green, Blue and RED lighting wire ?

Greetings, Handymen.

I'm putting up a ceiling fan with light. In incarnation A, it works great, wherein white goes with white, green is grounded, and blue AND black (from the fan) go with the black ceiling wire. However, I need the light to work from the light switch and the fan from the chain. SOooo.. there is a red wire from the ceiling and the instructions do mention that I'd need to separate white, black and blue to get one of them working from the switch. Am I ok attaching ceiling fan blue to ceiling red wire ?

Reply to
holiday

Sounds right to me. I would check it with a tester first though.

The black should be hot all the time and the red will go on and off with the wall switch.

Reply to
Terry

So, how do I test the red wire?

Reply to
holiday

Turn the power to the circuit off and then take the wire nut off of the red wire. Turn the power back on and check with a voltage tester to see if it is hot. Flip the wall switch and test again.

Reply to
Terry