Stainless steel deck screws: Phillips or Square-Drive?

I am building a deck and have found the least-expensive stainless screws. For the size I want (#10x3") it's the same price for Phillips or square-drive. I like square-drive for most applications, but stainless is another animal, and I don't have enough experience to know if possibly Phillips will work better for these deck screws.

I have searched rec.woodworking for advice, but haven't found any directly applilcable.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
bsa441

I haven't found any application where I've preferred Phillips over square.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I agree with Barry. I, too, have never found an application where I've preferred phillips to square head screws.

Given that stainless steel is softer, I think it would give square drive an even added benefit since square heads don't strip out as easily as phillips.

Besides, it's hip to be square.

Reply to
Trevor

I have used both and prefer the square drive. I've pretty much switched to square for woodworking. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Square-Drive it is, then! Thanks all!

The reason I asked is that stainless is so different. Soft at first, but hard as hell when you push it. Tried to saw the top off a beer keg with my saber saw, and wound up breaking every blade. My brother the machinist just laughed when I told him.

jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
bsa441

for some of the best quality screws. They have a lot of deck information.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Another vote for square - far superior in my experience. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
IBM5081

Drywall.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Not trying to be a correction jerk. If your going to call the 'star' driver a Phillips, then start calling the 'square' driver a Robertson.

Phillips came up with the tapered X pattern and Robertson (A Canadaian who got screwed over by the British and refused to take his invention outside of Canada again) came up with the square pattern and both these guys have their inventions named after themselves.

And yes for most apllications I prefer a no slip Robertson, except where the fastener is going to show on a piece of furniture. There I will use either Phillips or slotted. 'Slotted' also has a name if someone can remember it.

If anyone cares, the Robertson comes in different sizes and they are color coded with the most common ones being 2 & 3 :

- 0 yellow

- 1 green

- 2 red

- 3 black

I've seen what appeared to be a 4 in a ratchet bit but I don't know the color code and I believe there is a 00 size for wee tiny screws.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Last ones I had were square drive. Started out that way at least. When less than half way into the would, they converted themselves to round drive. Used coated deck screws instead.

Reply to
CW

A star drive isn't a Phillips, at least not around here. The Torx head is what people mean when they talk about star drive screws. I know Robertson invented the square drive, but the name didn't stick like the Phillips name did and it is descriptive. A 'plus' head screw for Phillips would be more descriptive but is not likely to happen.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

Jesse R Strawbridge wrote in news:tS1Qg.3622$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

I've heard it called that before. At one time, though, I'm sure we've all heard every variation on "Phillips" that there is. (And a few unprintable ones about the "flat head." ;-))

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You're supposed to use a pump, silly.... I mean.. how thirsty were you?

Robatoy

Read all the responses to date {09/20} and had to 'put my oar in' . . .

1} As a boatbuilder, almost all the fasteners I use are Stainless, with the occasional Marine Bronze. {'softer' then the Stainless}

2} I now use the 'square drive' almost exclusively . . . except where a particular size is unavailable.

3} My supplies come from McFeeley's . . . their catalog has some nice tips on how to use different materials.

3a} A 3 inch screw has/needs a lot of torque. {At that length I'd be tempted to use a #12 or even a #14 - especially for the hard woods used for decking}.

4} My recommendation, although slowing the progress a bit, could save a lot of grief . . . a} DRILL pilot holes and b} LUBE the screws. The CHEAPEST and best is a simple Bees Wax Toilet Ring !! About $2.oo at any 'home center'. Cut it up {or carefully melt it} and put portions into small closable containers {I used 35mm film cans}for the tool bags, or a 'travel sized' empty solid deodorant container {I have one in the bench drawer}.

5} If REALLY 'anal' - glue a HARD STEEL screw to a bit and use it to 'Pre-Thread' the pilot holes. {I sometimes do this with the Bronze screws, and ALWAYS with 'dead soft' Brass.}

Ron Magen

I've used both in my not so illustrious woodworking and will take square over phillips any time. Though I agree with the earlier drywall comment. Phillips is my exception for that application.

For my projects I've turned a whole lot less squares round than phillips to cups... :-)

You do want to make sure and get good screws though... If you go cheap, you get cheap. Nothing like trying to get a futzed up screw back out again. And you know it will be the last one you're driving in...

Reply to
bremen68

No, just the last one you have on hand:-( Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman