Deck screws

When I'm make a joint and I need to screw it and glue it, I like to use deck screws. I know it's overkill, but when I sink one of those in there I know it's good to go. Anyone else?

S.

Reply to
samson

deck screws are better than drywall screws, but there are better screws out there. I get them at the cabinet shop supplier local to me, but I bet you can find some on line....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I'm with you - I use deck screws, too. I don't consider them overkill. I've never snapped the head off a deck screw but I can't say the same about wood screws.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And when you want to back it out, it backs out.

S.

Reply to
samson

Define 'deck screws' . . .

I use - almost exclusively - SQUARE DRIVE Stainless Steel screws. Not only for the boats & Marine applications, but for 'household' work, as well.

Occasionally I may use Bronze or brass - where there is a SPECIFIC reason - again Square Drive.

For a consistent source I 'bite the bullet' on shipping and order from McFeeley's.

Reply to
Ron Magen

Chris, I know what RECEX screws are, however they are only available in a few sizes. While LV may be 'pretty good about quality' but they are also PRETTY GOOD about PRICES !!

The use of Stainless, predominantly, is that most of my work will see the 'outside' at some point. In addition, there is moisture, in some form, all around us - and in some areas bathroom, kitchen, etc.}more then others. While it also reduces the requirement to have 'duplicates', I also occasionally use 'Yellow Zinc' plated screws. Square drive, they pass a '100 hour Salt Spray' test.

The change to 'Square Drive' {Yes - I know about Robertson - Canadian, eh} is due to a more secure 'fit' and almost no 'cam-out'. The reason for Stainless, or high corrosion resistance is that I HATE 'surprises'. Like 'rust streaks' from UNDER the paint, down a wall, on the side of a case that someone handles, etc. Plus I found a REASONABLE, reliable, and in-depth source for quantities of 100 and up.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Friesen" To: "Ron Magen" Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 11:31 Subject: Re: Deck screws

Reply to
Ron Magen

'surprises'.

That makes two of us.

The cost of fasteners as a percentage of the total project gets lost in the wash.

Why sweat the petty stuff?

Now the cost of hardware..........................

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

yes i do agree with you samson, Deck screws will certainly fit for them and its better always to pick a right deck screw for your task to be done in a right way. now the question is where can i find the deck screws of wide ra nge ? the one place i recommend you is mutualscrew. This is the only best o n-line site that sells wide range of deck screws for the best price. Here i s the link to get them

.html hope this helps you samson.

Reply to
guruzig