Sliding compound miter saws

By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with a ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability. I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

TIA. Max

Reply to
Max

I have a Hitachi C10FSH (10") and I can crosscut a 1x12 with no problems. I think it could go maybe 1/2" further, but I've never really tried.

With my saw I've cut 2' wide pieces of plywood with no problems by just flipping it over and lining it up. The only thing I don't like is the handle. It's parallel to the blade, not perpendicular, and makes left hand cutting a PITA.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a

10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut capacity.

Reply to
Swingman

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-( Thanks,

Max

Reply to
Max

Max There are two features you would lose. The first is dado. The second is the ability to set the cut depth. Never tried this on my sliding compound. What you gain is very fast and easy and accurate angle changes and space. BTW make sure you get the right blades for the SCMS. Really ugly things happen with wrong blades, I will personally attest to this. Certain Brother in Law swapped a blade out without checking what he put in. VERY VERY UGLY AND VERY DANGEROUS THINGS HAPPEN Keep in mind the Dewalts use a belt drive, most others are direct drive. Not sure that matters, but I would keep a spare belt if I had a DeWalt. Good luck

Paul

Reply to
goaway

"goaway" wrote

Thanks, Paul I very, very rarely cut dadoes with a saw. I use a router. *Mostly* because of the odd sizes for plywood ( I have the odd size bits) and the ease of setting up. (I have 9 routers) And I have (homemade) cutting guides for three of them.

I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive.

'm giving that saw some serious consideration. You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.

Thanks again for the input.

Max

Reply to
Max

The Makita LS1013 you can control the depth of cut, it does make pretty nice dado's using a Freud blade. Just mark the borders with a scribe and have at it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

The only way I know of to get a 12" to go all the way up to a 16" cut is to buy or use a special accessory that raises up the level of the table to the maximum diameter of the blade. I'm pretty sure DeWalt makes one, but I don't know anything else about it.

Reply to
N Hurst

And conveniently enough, the LS1013F is at Amazon for $499, plus you get a $50 gift card for another purchase at Amazon. Not too shabby!

Reply to
N Hurst

Ditto for Bosh 4410. Depth of cut control, no problems making dados, very comfortable, dual bevel, front control, precise. Highly recommended, I simply love it.

Reply to
Sergey Kubushin

I have a RAS in addition to my 10" CMS.. My brother bought the 12" and loves it... sliding or not, he figures bigger is better..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I don't know if this is a consideration, but early slide saws got a lot of complaints that the slider flexed on long cuts and they weren't as accurate as non-sliders... Maybe this has been corrected or was just a myth.. Possibly just a problem on cheap saws?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yup. Some of the reviews I read mentioned that problem. Particularly the DeWalt. Still thinking Bosch.

Max

Reply to
Max

If you can hold off until Nov. 9 thru 11, take a look at tools-plus.com. They will have discounts on those days. Their prices are usually as good as Amazon or close. I got my TS ,jointer and planer from them. Look at the Makita LS1214FL Compound Miter Saw. $599 now and maybe 10% off on above dates.

Reply to
klaatu

I can hold !! If I'm buying someplace besides Amazon the prices have to be

*better*. I have gotten very good service from Amazon. But, Thanks.

Max

Reply to
Max

I have the 12" Dewalt slider and don't have any problems with wandering on any cuts. When I switched to a slider from the Dewalt 12" chopsaw I was concerned, and even kept the old saw setup, but never had any problems.

Good luck with your purchase.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Thank you, Sir. There's no such thing as too much advice. Just sort it out.

Max

Reply to
Max

Dewalt makes a 12" blade model that cuts 16" with some alterations to raise the table to take full advantage of the blade diameter.

I have a 10" Makita, love the saw but it is heavy and it has a large footprint, though not as heavy as other brands. If it will only sit on a bench in your shop this is not important.

I have used an 8 1/2" Dewalt and would actually love to have a smaller saw like it, I am short, 5' 7" and find reaching around the Makita to tilt the blade a bit awkward, I have also used a 12" Makita and it is even more so. This has to do with the design of the bench it is sitting on in the shop, at a site on a workmate it is easier to step around it.

Most dimensional lumber falls within the 12" cutting capacity anything wider is usually a panel and I would cut that on the table saw with a sled. Frank C.

Reply to
Frank Campbell

accurate crosscuts. If I need more crosscut capacity I use a circular saw with a guide made especially for the job. I want a good sliding compound miter saw to replace the radial arm saw and for some miters. I have a miter sled for my table saw that allows me to do accurate miters but I would rather have a saw dedicated to the job, ie a SCMS. Having a little extra capacity for 90 degree cuts would be a plus. I've been looking at the Bosch 5412L.

Max

Reply to
Max

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on one ... yet.

Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades, especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for different tasks.

Mark

p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the Makita LS1013

Reply to
redbelly