Sliding compound miter saws.

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like? I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

Reply to
Steve Barker

The ones under $200 with dual bevel and laser from CTC. It comes with a finger reattachment kit but not wit Saw-Stop for that price.

Get soft start and laser alignment, for sure. I don't think that unit has a laser cutting line. Once you try it you wouldn't be without one again.

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like? I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

Reply to
m II

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

Leon

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. I would look at their current offering, the LS1016. From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

yes, the articulating (not sliding) version. A very nice machine; that would probably be my choice if I were in the market.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Great tool. I got an almost new Makita LS1013 at a local pawnshop for $300. Does that count as a gloat?

Reply to
Just Wondering

Almost new, if true, IMHO, you suck.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

no, the laser went away when they discontinued the 5412L, it can be had separately as an add on, however.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yeah, i saw that one at Lowes yesterday. hmmmmmm. tough decision. didn't really want to spend that much... I'm a novice woodworker, but using it for rough construction also. Anythin' will beat that old hitachi my dad gave me because someone else gave it to him. I think there's a reason it keeps getting given away. (i'll give it to my son) LOL!

Reply to
Steve Barker

I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year, until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.

Reply to
Steve Barker

absolutely!

Reply to
Steve Barker

The fact that it does not need space behind the saw for the sliding mechanism found on the sliders would be a big factor for me and it is creamy smooth.

Reply to
Leon

I have the Makita LS1013 too. I am quite pleased with it. Haven't used other models so can't say whether this one is better or worse. But it works very well. Don't understand the appeal of 12" blade models since they don't cut any wider. The 10" models will cut 4" or so deep. Adding another inch of depth with a 12" blade doesn't impress me.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I have the LS1013.

Where a 12" model definitely comes in handy is if you're doing a good deal of crown molding.

For ease of installing, crown molding is usually cut upside down on a jig of some sort, meaning you reduce the depth cut of the miter saw:

the only time I wish I had something bigger than the 10" LS1013 ...

Reply to
Swingman

If you can afford the Bosch, go for it. It's a good choice. Those are nice saurs. I bought the HF 98194 because I wanted to be able to eat and pay my truck payment that month, too. Hmm, $800 or $160? It has been a workhorse for me and is easy to use. The difference in capacity between it and the old 10" Delta I had is unreal. 12" sliders are truly wondrous.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Like when the Slide-Stop kicks in? I have never jammed my cheapies.

Reply to
m II

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:14:39 -0600, Steve Barker

Obviously, it's a clandestine attempt to stop children from using your

*good* tools. ~ Doesn't work anymore. Kids these days have an unusually developed sense of entitlement.
Reply to
Dave

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker

You need to take part in a Festool demo day. And then, take advantage of their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed offer. After that, you can consider your money really gone.

Reply to
Dave

I let my kids use all my tools... even the Lie-Nielson planes and saws in preference to the old Stanley and Millers Falls tools. It is not reasonable to expect kids to have good results with junk tools nor like working with tools that perform poorly. Taking it one step further I bought an L-N No 5 plane for them to use as they couldn't handle the No 7. Funny thing is that the No 5 has turned out to be the one most used by me!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:47:29 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

I can remember at 5 years of age, using my father's chisels to open paint cans. Needless to say, I destroyed more than one. But, my chiseling paint cans didn't last long. My father gave me my own set of chisels and I realized soon enough that they didn't work anymore after breaking one or two. I paid attention when it was *my* tools being put to misuse. That lesson has stayed with me more than 50 years.

BTW John. My spell checker crapped out on your last name. You owe me a new one. :)

Reply to
Dave