Sliding compound miter saws.

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks for the testimonial, Leon! Yes, $200 is ridiculous, but you do get a unit that fits onto the vacuum in almost matching colors ...

Reply to
Han

LOL. YES! there is value in the coordinating color ensemble! Right Swingman? ;~)

I currently have a "hose garage" on top of my CT22. That would be harder to get to when putting away or accessing the hose. Additionally I stack the systainer of the tool that I am using on top of the vac.

FWIW I don't know if you have filled a bag to capacity or not but I am still amazed at how much the bags will hold. I would say the bag will fill to about 97% volume capacity before I see a drop in suction. And then the bag is like a cinder block. Well maybe not that heavy. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Bag!? What bag? You mean you have to change them??

Reply to
Swingman

You ever forget to hook the hose up to the tool? The tool and vac just a buzzing away and a cloud of dust is every where. Attaching the hose to the tool is an important step!

Reply to
Leon

I'm not sure about the current users here but certainly we've had Tormek users over the years. They seem expensive but when I stop and think about the fact that I have a slow speed grinder from Woodcraft, a Makita horizontal water grinder, a full complement of Arkansas stones (including a large black very fine bench stone that was about $100), a bunch of files and an angle grinder so I can sharpen anything I own, the Tormek starts to look quite reasonable.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Read the specs really carefully....

Normally it says "vertically nested" for crown mold.

Which means it's leaning against the fence not standing straight up.

Go here and compare a 10" & 12" saw side by side.

Pat Barber

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

As you know I'm an amateur, and not pushing the Festool stuff I have to their limits, far from it. I just know how much of a difference my amateur cyclone (garbage can plus Rockler (?) top made to my DC.

Reply to
Han

I have a Tormek. I cannot really say that I like it. I works as advertised but has inherent issues IMHO.

I bought the works package several years ago.

First off it is best left "set up" in it's trough of water as a simple sharpening task gets put off if you have to pull out the sharpener and fill the trough with water. I prefer to sharpen several items at once.

Given the opportunity I would sell it and replace it with a WorkSharp 3000.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:16:57 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

One thing that impresses me about Tormek's ads is that the Tormek 7 is also guaranteed for commercial use. If they're prepared to warranty one under those conditions, it likely speaks volumes as to its reliability.

Reply to
Dave

Agreed the cyclones do a good job at separation.

I have a Jet DC with a pleated filter on top that is almost 6 years old. I use it most all the time and have replaced the waste bag countless times. I use a 45 gal contractors bag and toss the whole thing. What I see with using a cyclone is less shop space and the same amount of dust to deal with when something needs to be emptied.

A half full bag weighs about 30~40 lbs and is a little tough to get out of the dust collector because the bag expands wider than the top filter support arms. This is with a normal mix of saw dust. Now imagine that bag being half full with just fine saw dust. How heavy is that going to be? If I bought a cyclone I would probably wonder how I ever got along with out it. LOL

Reply to
Leon

MAYBE! I kinda seriously doubt a pro shop would use one that much, time is money and they are slower than a dry grinder. Now if a pro shop did use one I think that Tormek would be willing to warrant the few that might need repairs in order to be able to say that it will last the same amount of years in a commercial shop.

Having said that the Tormek is very well made and there are few parts that will wear out. The bushings/bearings are serviceable and other than the motor that is about all that will wear out.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I also have a pleated filter (Wynn, I believe) on the DC. Can't remember changing the lower bag, which is a royal PITA (that I do remember!). Yes you lose shop space, and I wish it wasn't so, but the ease of emptying the metal garbage can compensates more than enough. The bargae can has easy carry handles so I don't have to struggle to keep the dust in the bag out of my nose ...

Reply to
Han

That's what people are starting to realize ... that the mfg. have decreased some of the parameters so that a 12" saw doesn't really cut anything larger than a 10" saw.

They will wait until enough 12" saws have been peddled and then drop the new improved capacity units on the market. **SIGH**

Read the specs really carefully....

Normally it says "vertically nested" for crown mold.

Which means it's leaning against the fence not standing straight up.

Go here and compare a 10" & 12" saw side by side.

m II

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:03:39 -0600, Leon

I was thinking if it's a pro shop, they've be using a Tormek far more often than any private user. If that's so, then the warranty even in the face of repeated commercial use is a good recommendation for the quality of the tool.

As to dry grinding, I'm of the impression that dry grinding is subject to heat build up which can hurt the temper of the metal in a knife. I hope (maybe naively), that a pro shop would be a little more responsible with their customer's knives and not subject them to the effects of heat deterioration.

Reply to
Dave

thanks, got it bookmarked. i'll check it out later.

Reply to
Steve Barker

cuts also. Given the first two saws in this example, the 10 and 12 inch dewalts, the 12" running at 3800 will produce a tip speed of about

135mph, the 10 inch running at 4000 is only 112mph. I'm not saying this is a great big deal, because i don't really know. But i can tell you from experience that on lawnmowers, "tip" speed is the name of the game. The faster, the better the cut.
Reply to
Steve Barker

There is teeth count to consider also but within limits of it's clearing ability. (teeth get too small)

I don't see any significant difference in surface speed. I haven't rechecked your RPM speeds offered. I remember one 12" rated at around

3500 RPM and I thought an old chop saw I had ran at 4800 RPM but that is all from memory of my mom's equipment in her basement...LOL

135mph, the 10 inch running at 4000 is only 112mph. I'm not saying this is a great big deal, because i don't really know. But i can tell you from experience that on lawnmowers, "tip" speed is the name of the game. The faster, the better the cut.

Reply to
m II

A blade with 20 teeth turning at 4000 rpm will produce as smooth of a cut as a 40 tooth blade at 2000 rpm assuming feed rate is the same for both.

SO you do not have to have a 80 tooth cross cut blade to produce a smooth cut if you simply feed a 40 tooth blade at about half the speed.

But yes the faster the blade spins with all things being equal the smoother the cut will be.

Reply to
Leon

Misunderstanding here. LOL

I was thinking a woodworking shop doing their own sharpening. You are/were talking about a sharpening shop.

Actually I think sharpening shops use a sanding belt to sharpen most tools. Those belts go to up to 6000 grit.

Any way the Work Sharp system uses a heat sink for dissipating heat when sharpening chisels and IIRC they recommend touching the chisel to the grinding surface a few seconds on and a few seconds off repeatedly.

Reply to
Leon

One would hope that it didn't take you too long to notice it.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques