Compound miter saws?

I am considering whether or not to get a Chicago Electric Power Tools

12" Sliding compound miter saw, as it is going for only $179. The dewalt (which is the brand most of my power tools are) equivilent is about $600.

Should I go for the Chicago or get a cheaper 10" non sliding from dewalt?

Does anyone have any experience with the Chicago miter saws?

Reply to
PghWoodWorker

First of all the $600 Dewalt is not an "equivalent". LOL!

If you don't need a slider, the cheaper 10" from DeWalt would be the FAR better choice. or a Makita

Dave

Reply to
David

You get what you pay for.that said I have one and for the past 5 years it works well for rough cutting (no cabinet or furniture grades cuts)lumber.the blade was replaced with a forest chopmaster(I know,blade cost more than the saw)and works ok but the arbor has a slight wobble to it.did alright on my deck and some exterior molding.But I have a bosch and the difference is dramatic( yugo vs maybach) hopes this helps

len

Reply to
leonard

I wouldn't think your arbor shouldn't have wobble in it regardless of brand. Was this present when you purchased it, or did it develop over time?

Reply to
Locutus

it was present when I purchased it. the wobble is small

Reply to
leonard

I would have returned it!

Of course I have a Craftsman Miter saw which doesn't cut square when in the zero position... and I can't figure out any way to adjust it. But I didn't notice it when I was using it to cut deck boards, by the time I noticed it, it was too late to return.

Reply to
Locutus

i got a 10" compound miter saw refurbished from tylertool.com

I like it.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I have the DeWalt DW703 10" non sliding miter saw and it ran me about 200 bucks as I recall. It cuts well and square, no wobble. Its a good miter saw, I'd buy it again.

I do furniture grade cross cutting on my table saw with a Jointech SmartMiter sled. That gives me perfection at any angle every time.

It all depends on what you are planning to do. If you are thinking about woodworking/furniture making or construction work. If you are aiming for woodworking I don't know that anyone needs a miter saw. I'd save my pennys and get a good table saw and the Jointech SmartMiter for cross cuts and miters.

If you plan on construction and you plan on cross cutting/miter cutting stock wider than 6" a 10" miter saw wont do. You would have to get a 12" miter saw. A slider of course increases the width of stock you can cross cut even more.

If you do opt for a 12" slider type miter saw, take a look at the one Bosch makes, it ususally beats the DeWalt in side by side tests in the magazines and online. And I belive the Bosch is about 50 - 60 bucks cheaper on Amazon.

Hope this helps,

RRRangerPaul

"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted." Albert Einstein

Reply to
Ranger Paul

I have the DeWalt 12" chop saw and it has served me exceedingly well. This saw has a high back fence which really comes in handy for installing crown moldings. I do not recommend Chicago power tools.

Reply to
Phisherman

Right, and with the refund you'd buy a good saw instead.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly, but that is how HF can buy and sell so cheap. They buy cheaply made stuff. Good saws don't have wobble. The tolerances on cheap tools is much greater that on quality tools. I'd bet that anyone going into surgery would not want the doctor to bring out a toolkit from Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I went this route:

am pretty happy with it. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

No, most surgical instruments are made in Pakistan.

Reply to
CW

If you buy HF power tools, buy in person, not on-line. Check out each tool first. QC is very sporadic,

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I just check back on my post to find all these replies. Thank you all for your help. After reading you posts, I think I am going to opt for a name brand as I am doing inside trim work mostly with it, and I don't want poor cuts (that is what I am dealing with now as I am using a 10 year old Makita 10" non-compound miter).

I am going to get a 12", but should I go for the big-bucks and get the sliding compound 12", and if so why?

Reply to
PghWoodWorker

The slider gives you more capacity for wider cuts. I could not justify it myself, but maybe you can. I've read that they are not as accurate because of the mechanism, but I don't have personal experience with it. FWIW, I have a DeWalt. The stock 80T blade after being resharpened by Ridge Carbide is very good. No reason to step up to anything else.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a 12" Bosch and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Reply to
TH