Miter Saw from harbor freight ?

Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ?

Any good ?

Thanks

James

Reply to
James

We used one to install about 5000' of base board and crown molding. It has started to fall apart. The blade guard is now broken and a few other pieces have fallen off but it still works and paid for it's self.

cm

Reply to
CM

Any good for what?

It's a $99.99 sliding miter.

Search the web for name brand 10" sliding miter saws and see what they cost. Even with a *substantial* price adjustment to account for the name brand, you'll never get close to $99.99 or even the $139 regular price. Odds are there's a reason for the price difference.

I guess it all depends on what you need it for and how long you need it to last.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, these are both good replies, from Darby and cm.

I would use it to cut perhaps ten boards a year. I am not a carpenter, or much of a handyman. I have a circular saw that I use a few times a year, but I just find that I am not "handy" at using it to cut a perfectly straight line !! I am making some shelfs soon, and very simple items like that.

Yes, I suspected it would be on the lower quality side........... but it might last me for 30 years, at ten boards a year. 5000 cuts as indicated by cm is amazing for a $99 saw !

Thanks again, and I welcome further comments !!

James

Reply to
James

I bought one a few years ago. Have had no problems with it except a minor one. It doesn't _quite_ cut all the way through stock that is against the fence. Leaves about a 1/8" "tit" easily trimmed with a knife. Haven't looked to see if the fence is adustable.

For occasional use I would recommend it for the price. Undoubtedly a 'high quality' one will last longer but I don't see that it would be any more accurate than the HF one. Everyone does not need a professional tool.

I even use it as a 'chop' saw cutting framing memebers to length. The nice part is being able to see _exaclty_ where the cut will fall.

I don't do all that much work with it anymore as all my buildings are now rehabbed. I do wish I had been smart enough to invest in a sliding mitre saw many, many years ago regardless of cost.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In that case, it will probably fit your needs. I wouldn't consider it but my needs are different than yours.

Note that the cutting capacity if 5 3/8" and that a 1 x 6 is 5 1/2". That can be a PITA. A regular 12" miter saw will cut about 8" but will cost considerably more.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mine cost over $500 but I wouldn't mine having a HF as a backup or leaving it on a jobsite. It was voted the worst compared to $700 sliding miter saws but they were not comparing apples to apples relative to dollars that is.

Reply to
Frank

I have the 12" version of the same saw. It works fine and is plenty accurate for casual home use. Certainly light years ahead of cutting with a hand saw - manual or power.

Reply to
Robert Neville

For occasional use it may be OK for your needs. Also check Sears, they have some Craftsman non-sliding saws that may be better quality.

Just remember: you get what you pay for!

If you are not in a hurry, wait till spring. With the economy headed down, construction work falling off, you will see some at flea markets this summer as construction contractors start selling off their tools. I've gotten some really good deals that way in the past. A used Makita or other name brand will be an investment while the HF tool is just a disposable purchase.

Reply to
PeterD

Doesn't the sliding type miter saw allow for wider cuts ?

James

Reply to
James

Yes, a lot wider. Mine will miter 45" on a 2x6. I think it goes wider than that but it does go at _least_ that far.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Correct. For homeowner use, the cheap tools are just fine as long as their accuracy is acceptable. There are people who insist on pro quality tools even if they only use them once or twice a year. I don't understand that viewpoint.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Jesus! 45"! That is more than my Radial Arm saw will do! My

12" sliding compound will only cut about 14" at most. What size is yours?
Reply to
Robert Allison

A sliding miter will allow for wider cuts than a non-slider, everything else being equal. That said, the ad says the capacity is 5

3/8", so if that's true, it just means that without the slide, it would be even less.

I'd call and find out if that stat is accurate 'cuz my 10" non-slide Delta, with the adjustable fence, will do 5 1/8", so an extra 1/4" for a slider sound minimal.

However, as I pointed out in another post, you can easily gain a little more depth of cut by simply lifting the front edge of the board slightly so that the spinning blade completes the cut.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Same viewpoint as people who show up at Home Depot in a $35K SUV, maybe? >G<

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you lift the front edge of the board slightly, you can easily complete the cut on a 2 x 6 on a saw that only claims a DOC of 5 3/8". Make your cut with the board flat, then just tilt the board up enough so that a few more teeth on the front of the blade complete the cut.

I do it all the time with my Delta 10" non-slider.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do it all the time with my Delta 10" non-slider.

******************************

I can see nasty repercussions if not done properly though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Any reason having both radial arm and the slider? I have both but didn&#39;t use the RAS the last few years.

Reply to
Frank

The RAS is for framing and can rip if needed. It is permanently setup at my shop and I use it mostly for framing and rough cutting. The SCMS is for trim and more fine cutting as it is much more accurate and is portable. I also have a 10" CMS and an 8" CMS and a 10" MS. A tool for everything. If you want to throw in the old manual mitersaw, I have a total of five.

But then, that&#39;s what happens when you are a contractor.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I was wondering if my memory was _that_ bad so went out and measured. It is stuck back in a dark corner so the measurement is not all that accurate.

10" at 45 degrees a bit more at 90. Remember we are talking "sliding" miter saws.
Reply to
Harry K