If I don't woodwork, do I need a table saw? Is the miter saw what I need?

Hi, I got a table saw as a gift. I'm debating returning it and getting a miter saw.

I don't woodwork or build furniture. Most of my work is construction: building garden beds, finishing a basement next year, etc. If I needed wood ripped, I'd probably get the guys at Home Depot to fire up that big saw by the lumber.

Wouldn't a miter saw be a better choice? I could chop things with the table saw, I guess. And I don't really know all a table saw can do. But I don't see myself building any jigs.

Reply to
bryanska

There are a wide range of miter saws. I believe you can find one that will do you better than a table saw and likely will cost less. Make sure it will handle the max size pieces that you will be using. From what you describe that would be my choice. However remember that is it more limited in what it can do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The radial arm saw is very versatile.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

A radial arm saw can do everything a miter saw can do, and usually do it more accurately.

Plus, a radial can rip (up to the depth of the arm).

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
bamboo

Which make and model?

You might find yourself ripping wood frequently for things like filler strips. No sense in heading down to HD every five minutes to get a piece of wood cut.

If you do lots of plywood work, you'll need a table saw with a decent fence, like a Biesemeyer.

I use both. My 10" PC chopsaw complements my table saw beautifully.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I had to original Sears 10" radial arm saw about 35 years ago. It was indeed quit versatile, but it was not as accurate as a table saw because the frame would flex a tiny bit. Various attachments such as the router head were complete disasters. The advise a professional furniture maker offered was that if he had to pick just one saw, he would choose a band saw. YMMV

Reply to
Stubby

I would agree, but I would also point out that they are generally more expensive and almost always heavier and more difficult to move around the OP appears to be talking about something he can take along on jobs and just just stuff around the house. Frankly around the house I often bring out the miter saw to the job rather than use the radial in the garage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I bought a radial arm saw as my first big tool, and have kicked myself for it many times. I'd much rather have a table saw. (And a miter saw on the side)

If the wood bounces on a radial saw, the cut goes too deep. On a table saw it doesn't.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Thats why you don't even see them for sale anymore. I actually gave away a 10" Craftsman last year for that reason. It is too heavy to move and easy to knock out of adjustment.

Reply to
George

The OP said "Most of my work is construction." Table saws are not the best choice. Of course, having all three saws would be the best (table, radial, and miter).

Reply to
Charles Schuler

fwiw ... I do most of my work around the house with a jig saw (with diy jigs for straight edges etc) and a sawzall. Jig saw ... portable band saw :-)

Reply to
bowgus

I have a Sears radial saw and love it. It's not as old as yours. Mine is probably around 20 years old. However, for construction work, a radial saw is NOT handy. I sure the hell am not going to lug that heavy thing around from job to job. I have a chop saw (miter saw), and it works great for cutting studs and the like, and it's easy to lug around. Of course, you can not rip with them. That leaves me with my lightweight table saw, or since I dont rip boards too often, carry the board to the radial saw. When all else fails, I can still make a pretty accurate cross cut or rip with my circular saw which is generally accurate enough for construction, just not for finish work.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

If you dont mind having the battery fail at critical times, a lack of power, and spending a fortune of extra and replacement batteries. I'll stick to plug in tools. I tossed my last cordless drill in the trash about a year ago when the last battery failed and they wanted almost as much as I paid for the whole drill kit for a replacement. I wont even consider buying another cordless tool. If I felt I needed power tools and could not be near an electrical source, I'd rather invest in a small 15 to 30 amp generator.

Reply to
maradcliff

The reason they're not for sale anymore comes down to one word: lawyers. Radial arm saws are dangerous, particularly in hands of people who don't understand the forces at work.

Reply to
krw

Like some others here I bought a RAS almost thirty years ago. I should have bought a table saw (still don't have one). I recently bought a 10" sliding compound miter saw from Harbor Freight for $100. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It's more than good enough for construction work (with a new blade).

In short, keep the table saw and spend $100 on a miter saw:

krw