Recommend table saw for hardwood floor installation

Hi All,

Plan to install approx 800 sq.ft of unfinished hardwood strip flooring on the main level of our home. It seems a table saw and a circular saw are the tools I need to rip and cut the strips. Would you recommend an entry level table saw? I have no experience with woodworking tools. And I don't plan to do a do a lot of woodworking in the future either (except maybe build a simple book case or cut shelving for the garage).

Also, is it worthwhile spending upwards of $100 on a circular saw for cutting solid hardwood flooring? Please recommend and/or share your experience with different brands. I don't mind used tools either. Thanks in advance.

- Joydeep -

Reply to
joydeep_buragohain

I disagree. You need a miter saw. We had hardwood floor installed and our contractor used a miter saw throughout. You need to make relatively precise cuts, including angle cuts.

Ignoramus13229

Ambitious project. :-)

Incorrect. A circular saw is incapable of making the precise crosscuts necessary to produce the tightly fit end-to-end joints of a properly laid hardwood floor. You need a miter saw, or a radial arm saw, for that.

No.

Which means that you don't have the knowledge, the skills, the tools, or the experience to do a proper job of this yourself, and you should hire a professional to do it for you.

Doug Miller

An ambitious job.

Forget the circular saw. It will be worthless for the job. I suggest a chop saw (aka miter saw). For ripping the edges I would suggest renting a good table saw or radial arm saw (fitted out right the radial arm saw could do it all, but you will spend a lot of time changing it over from one job to the other.

Remember you are going to have a lot of end cuts and only a few rips to do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes, you should get yourself a brand new Delta Unisaw with the best fence fitted and many extension tables. When you are done with the job, send me the saw and I will see to it that it is disposed of properly.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I might suggest that you look into installing pergo or another brand of laminate flooring instead. It's a lot easier for do it yourself.

I'm not an expert on hardwood flooring, but I know enough from watching friends that it's a very difficult job.

On the other hand, laminate flooring is almost idiot proof. You could get by with only a circular saw for doing laminate. A mitre box would be ideal, but if you were careful, you could use a circular saw, as the cut ends only go against the wall and are covered with molding. Of course, the mitre box would be good to do that molding :).

But I cut a lot of my pergo with a circular saw, simply to avoid dulling the $80 blade on my mitre saw. Laminate flooring is very hard on saw blades.

If you are still hell bent on doing hardwood, start off by doing the smallest room. You might pay more for materials, but you'll get a hands-on feel for what you're getting yourself into.

Reply to
bf

But, it's pure junk.

Installing it is rather straight forward even with no prior experience, assuming a reasonable aptitude for this kind of work. The OP is well advised to either used prefinished hardwood or to hire a contractor to finish the floor for him.

Agreed.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike Marlow wrote: ...

The cuts unless doing something fancier than simple strip flooring are really the minor issue--they can be done w/ a hand miter box w/ a decent backsaw for those that show and a skill saw for those that don't.

The rest of the rig--power nailer, straightener, etc., are the key--he'll have to rent these and learn to use them effectively.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

As I noted in a recent other response, you can get by w/ a hand miter saw for the end cuts altho it would be slow. I'd go for the chop saw over the table saw as you have to move the whole piece over the blade and that isn't the easiest thing to do and keep a square crosscut.

The only place you'll need a rip will be on the edges (again assuming you're doing strip floring only) and that would be easier w/ a table saw, but the cut edges will be hidden by the baseboard/shoe mould anyway so a perfect edge isn't needed...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks for the responses so far. I don't like the look of prefinished flooring (prefer a smooth finish). Took a class in a local hardwood flooring store. Mostly board&chalk type of class with some hands-on with floor nailers etc. The instructor advised using a table saw and a chop saw. I was wondering if I could get by without a chop saw if I don't make angle cuts.

I came out of the class feeling that it is a physically demanding process, but does not require the skill of an experienced woodworker to do an okay job. Currently I plan to do the install myself and the finishing professionally done. This gives me the flexibility to spend a bit more on the flooring. If I get the whole thing done professionally, my choices of flooring will be quite limited (my budget is not as huge as the trade deficit ;-).

I appreciate the advice about starting with a small area. That way I will very soon know whether I am upto it or not.

Back to the tool issue, looks like a miter saw is the way to go. Any specific things that I should look for in such a saw? Thanks again.

- Joydeep -

Reply to
Joydeep Buragohain

and most of those ripped edges are going to be hidden by the baseboard so they dont need to be all that precise.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You can use a hand saw, circular saw, or even a cheap $100 miter saw for what you are doing.

Think: knee pads.

Depends on your pocketbook and what you intend to do later. One shot deal? Buy a modest priced saw like a Ryobi. Going to continue in the woodworking hobby? Buy a 12" DeWalt for $300

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just finished putting down 600 sf of 3/4" prefinished hardwood.

First I would recommend a compound mitre saw. If you're going to buy one this is more versatile for any future jobs you may want to handle.

Second and most important to me is that if you're a novice and are living in a home older than just a few years old you may want to let a professional do it. I did my DR, KIT, Hallway and downstairs bath and had to replace particle board in the hallway and DR. What a pain. what a mess.

Last but not least is what do you mean when you say "prefer a smooth finish"? I put down prefinished rustic maple and it's as smooth as you're gonna get in my humble opinion.

Good luck

Reply to
Larry

On 1/12/2005 2:54 PM US(ET), Joydeep Buragohain took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I suppose that this floor will be installed in a perfectly rectangular room and the boards will fit between opposite walls completely without any edge boards having to be ripped to fit. Also there are no heat pipes coming up through the floor, or having no doorways or closets, or outside corners, where a piece might have to be notched, or any sawing in any direction other than straight across the board. If so, all you need is a mitre saw. If not, you may also need a saber saw and a saw capable of ripping boards. Once you start, you will find that you may need other tools that you may, or may not, have at hand. Drill with hole saw, plane, chisels, etc.

Reply to
willshak

I agree, the Pergo is garbage. Good thing it went down so easy and is not nailed, that will make it that much easier to replace this spring after only 3 years. I remember telling SWMBO "This is just cardboard with a sticker on top". Should I remind her of that?

Reply to
Ray

Thanks for your advice. I do'nt like the beveled edges of prefinished strips. Prefer a smooth finish from wall to wall. I do understand that going the prefinished way is lot more economical and less messy than the unfinished way.

I am a novice, but wish to learn some of the home improvement skills along the way. I reasoned that if I do the install work myself, I have the option of getting higher quality flooring material. Thanks again.

- Joydeep -

Reply to
Joydeep Buragohain

I agree, . . . . . .but . . . . . not all pre-finished has a big bevel. Check out a few brands and you may find something that suits you.

OTOH, you can get some very nice wood flooring. You can do a lot with it if you have the patience and skills as you can see here:

Dan did the designs and Barbara did the milling and installation. When you see them in person, they are really gorgeous.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not if you ever want to... well you know... again.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Can't imagine what cut you'd make that would require a compound miter. A simple miter saw ought to do the job quite nicely.

Agreed. Pre-finished hardwood flooring looks very good and is as smooth as anything an installer will produce.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

They actually make some miter saws that can convert to a small table saw for ripping. To me this would be an excellent candidate for your needs. If I were doing it full time though, I'd have a portable bandsaw for the rips and curves, and a really good portable chop saw station with sliding stops and all.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique