Hardwood floor installation cost

What is the average pricing for installation of hardwood floors (labour cost only) in Ottawa, Canada?

Thanks.

Reply to
Gord

Stain, none, one coat or 2, finish coat 3-5 or 6. Water base high gloss or buffed or satin, Oil base high gloss or satin Large rooms or small. Best is get a quality installer and bids.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would like to have pre-finished hardwood floors installed. Just the floor installation. No need to remove the carpet, level the floor, etc. The floor is ready. I have 260 sq. ft for living and dinning room; 110 sq ft for hall way and foyer (irregular shape).

Reply to
Gord

Two words:

Arm Leg

Yer welcome, eh?

Reply to
Red Neckerson

If you read up on it, you might decide that you can do it yourself, with the only cost being to rent the tools. As far as do-it-yourself jobs go, it is one of the easier ones. If I recall correctly, a few years ago it was $1.75/sq. ft. in S. Ontario.

Reply to
Alan

No idea about pricing in Canada, but here in Atlanta, a good price for installing and finishing a solid oak floor is ~$6.25/sf. Unless you find a real deal, you won't same much money going the DIY route on prefinished solid flooring (I think finishing unfinished floors is more than most amateurs want to tackle). Most of the local big box operations sell solid prefinished wood for $5-$6/sf, then you have to figure in waste, tool rental, and time. If you want someone else to install it, the cost will be ~$1 to $1.50/sf, depending on installation method. If you're talking engineered floors or laminates, you can buy that material for $2-$4/sf, and could get someone to install it for $1 - $1.50.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Why ask here? Have you tried a phone book?

Reply to
3rd eye

I installed some prefinished hardwood several years ago. I used a trim nailer and a hand miter box. It was not real easy cutting the hardwood with the hand saw, but I did get it done and it looked okay.

The problem we had was there was chamfered grooves along each side of the pre finished strips. These strips sometimes would catch dirt and mud and you'd have to almost get on your hands and knees to scrub the dirt out.

We ended ripping it up and replacing it with professionally installed hardwood with 3 coats of poly.

Reply to
HeatMan