Solid Hardwood Floor Installation

Hello,

I am in the process of obtaining quotations for 35sq metres of solid Merbau hardwood flooring (not engineered) to be installed in the open-plan lounger/diner of my 200 year old house in the south of England. The existing floor is carpet over concrete and I am limited as to how high I can raise the sub-floor (thresholds, fire hearths etc).

As such, the method proposed by one company, who have visited the property (Craftsman Timber Floors Ltd -

is quite tempting. Their approach is to stick the boards to an elastic material (I believe it is called Tuplex) - which apparently expands with the wood as well as provides a waterproof and 'breathable' protection - to quote, "the inherent problems caused by moisture becoming trapped in the sub-floor are eliminated".

Has anyone heard of this product/method and if so, is it a sound way to approach the installation of a solid hardwood floor. Having read previous posts, I understand that nailing to a plywood sub-floor is the preferred method, but times change and new products are introduced, so maybe this is now acceptable?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Reply to