Cutting out a broken screw

"Jim Martin" wrote in message news:bgmbbs$ncm$ snipped-for-privacy@terabinaries.xmission.com... : Hello All: : : Yesterday I broke off a lag bolt in hard maple. Today, I broke off a screw : extractor.... argggg! : : Next option is to use a hole saw to cut out the screw along with a section : of the wood. I remember that someone makes a small hole saw just for this : application. I thought it was Lee Valley but I don't see it on thier web : site. Seems that the smallest regular hole saw is 5/8", which is much bigger : than I need. : : Anybody know the hole saw, broken screw tool I am thinking of? : : Thanks, : : Jim :

Bob Gramza

Thomas Mitchell

Hello All:

Yesterday I broke off a lag bolt in hard maple. Today, I broke off a screw extractor.... argggg!

Next option is to use a hole saw to cut out the screw along with a section of the wood. I remember that someone makes a small hole saw just for this application. I thought it was Lee Valley but I don't see it on thier web site. Seems that the smallest regular hole saw is 5/8", which is much bigger than I need.

Anybody know the hole saw, broken screw tool I am thinking of?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

Funny you should say that I just had the same thing happen to me using the Woodcraft extractor. I had just started the hole and it shattered scattering pieces everywhere. Make sure you wear eye protection and gloves when using these. I could easily break the shattered pieces with a pair of pliers so IMHO these extractors are too brittle to be safe/useful.

Scott Hogsten

Reply to
qedude

Reply to