Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

What's a fairly quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun that's powerful enough to penetrate pine?

I'm an artist and I need to stretch cotton canvas over pine stretcher bars.

I considered buying a quiet Duo-Fast E1C 3118A electric staple gun, but it's too heavy. I have to hold the stretcher bar frame vertically so I have one hand to pull the canvas tightly around the bars with canvas pliers, so my other hand and arm have to be up in the air to fire the staple gun, so that gun would be too heavy. It weighs 4.2 pounds.

I'm considering a Maestri C7 or #8 electric gun, which are lighter. Upholster.com says they're powerful enough to shoot staples into most hardwoods. But I don't know how loud they are. Does anyone know how loud they are compared to the Duo Fast gun?

I tried the Arrow electric lithium-ion battery cordless electric, but it's very loud and the staples didn't penetrate the wood all the way.

Thanks.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

SonomaProducts.com

I hope it's quieter than the medium crown stapler I used to put down underlayment. It was more like "BLAM!". :)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'm an upholsterer and I've had a Senco SWF10XP ($125) for 5 years. Excellent air stapler and it uses a variety of staple brands (Senco C, FASCO 7C, BEA 71, and others).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Less power, more quiet. More power, less quiet. A simple inverse relationship that will not change until some company stupidly comes up with a environmentally audio friendly design that will make the product even more costly. I suggest foam earplugs:

EAR earplugs are the best. From high power firing ranges to NHRA fuel dragsters, this is the one that will save yer ears. Screw tapered and round-end foam plugs. These are the ones and worth every freakin' cent!

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thanks, Sonoma.

Which Senco?

And which compressor? I'm concerned about the noise from the compressors, because I'm in a rental apartment building and I'm surrounded by other tenants that I'm concerned about disturbing. That's why I'm leaning toward an electric.

Robert

S> I would go with air power and get a Senco, p-tink.

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

Thanks, Chris.

I'm working in my rental apartment suite, so it's not practical to ask my neighbours to wear earplugs.

Robert

notbob wrote:

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

The ones I use are the blam type but of all the small nail guns and staple guns I've been around the senco's are the quietest, the porter cables the loudest. I would say the smallest model that shoots staples big enough for your task.

I would suppose what they call a pancake compressor would be plenty. You can often find combo packs.

I just did a google search on "amazon senco stapler and compressor" and the first hot is an upholstery bundle.

SonomaProducts.com

compressor on top of a couple layers or scrap carpet, it will help nullify some of the vibration going through the floor, when it is running, not so much for the noise though. Maybe putting the compressor on a balcony (assuming you have one) will help as well, after all just the hose & gun have to come inside.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

bundle.http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0973-Upholstery-Compressor-Kit/dp/B0002...-Hide quoted text -

That bundle looks great. Several upholstery students have similar set- ups and they are excellent. That compressor won't run too long, either, for a noise concern, especially if you pad the floor, as suggested.

If you have a canvas to attach, now, some small tacks should work just fine. Tacks are still often used in upholstery today, in tight places the stapler can't reach properly. I wouldn't recommend using aluminum tacks.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

bundle.http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0973-Upholstery-Compressor-Kit/dp/B0002...-Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Sonny.

I tried pushpins that I had at home to get an idea if tacks would work, but the wood is so hard that the prongs hardly penetrated the wood when I use my fingers, so hammering them in would be a lot of work.

So I returned the package of unopened tacks that I had bought recently to the hardware store.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

Chris?

Heh... what the Hell, at least it's not bob. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Max

Reply to
Max

he lost an attibution -- your post was to a reply by a Chris.

And I _am_ a "Bob", but I *insist* that people spell it with only one 'o'!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If you get any air compressor bundle, make sure you set the air pressure (regulator) no more than the limit recommended for the staple gun... or any other air tool you may use with the compressor. Recommended pressure for a tool should be noted in a tool's manual. Upholstery students have been known to ruin their staplers by not paying attention to pressure limits.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:30:47 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Repeat after me: Electric staple guns don't work reliably.

Get a little compressor, an extra 5 gallon tank, and a $30 Harbor Freight 1/2" crown stapler (I love mine) and you're in business.

?Itemnumber=65594>I considered buying a quiet Duo-Fast E1C 3118A electric staple gun, but

Oh, the HF gun weighs about 2 pounds but feels closer to 1 pound. I use a lightweight 1/4" air line for the tank. It's even lighter than a copper cord for a corded tool like my drill.

I've also used my HF 1/4" crown stapler for upholstery to good effect.

3/4HP Ingersoll Rand airless compressor will fill up the tank to

100psi. I can then take the tank and hose anywhere and run about 100 staples from the gun before needing a refill. It stops working well at roughly 50psi.

Something as small as this might be enough compressor for you.

items go on sale at HF all the time and you can often find them for half price.

-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:58:48 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Go with air and build a sonic box to put around the compressor.

Use the stapler to tack carpet inside a plywood box. Fill up the tank once and use that for hours.

-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Leave the compressor outside and fill a portable air tank (I use a converted Freon bottle).

Reply to
HeyBub

What about one of the CO2 tanks to supply the stapler, it sounds like the OP needs would be fairly minimal and depending on how sensitive/mean the neighbors are it might be a good option.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

review I dunno...I have a Porter Cable US58T2 air-stapler that shoots #7 staples (as opposed to 22 guage crown staples) and it is the bomb. I bought it because I wasn't happy with a couple of electric units (probably didn't spend enough money on 'em?). Anyway, I've used it for light upholstering and even some indoor-outdoor applied to the deck of my truck...nice tool and great results.

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh