Problem with staple gun

I'm trying to staple carpet to a 4x4 piece of wood to make a scratching post for my cats. The staples are 1/2" (12mm) and I'm having trouble getting them all the way into the wood. They don't seem to go all the way in and they're easy to pull out of the carpet and wood (too short). Also, one side of the staple keeps bending everytime which I suspect may be part of the problem. Here's a picture of the bent staple -

What am I doing wrong? Do I need longer staples? The only other size staple is 9/16 (14 mm). Or is the problem that I need to use more strength/force to get that staple in?

Last year, I used another staple gun to do the same thing and I had no problems. But I may have used longer staples. Or maybe that staple gun is better than the one I'm currently using.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the staple gun I'm using is the Stanley Heavy Duty Staple and Nail Gun - Model TR250.

Reply to
Mike S.

You may need a different stapler and you may need to hold the stapler tighter to the surface. Different carpet may also be a problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

-www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/staples1.jpg

Use carpet tacks. You won't need very many.

RicodJour

Pneumatic upholstery stapler or carpet tacks as recommended. Short drywall screws would handle any carpet overlaps and still offer sufficient penetration.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Been there done that. I ended up buying a Duo-Fast electric narrow crown stapler. It kicks like a 22 pistol. I now have at least 3 staplers (not sure I haven't seen the 4th one for a while), 2 electric and a manual. I find the manual one good when you don't want full penetration like hanging weather barrier temporarily till I can get the siding up, but any upholstery job, unless you can see through the material, calls for the electric narrow crown.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Mike:

Practice a few times with scrap carpet and scrap wood. When stapling carpet to wood I usually have to push most of the carpet nap out of the way of the stapler, and push the stapler very hard against carpet backing and wood. If you still have problems, you may need the extra length staples.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Or you could give up on the stapler and use roofing nails.

Reply to
Goedjn

Or what the OP could do is use 1" crown staples in an air gun. They work well on the floor so they should work on a post. Double the carpet over and staple about 3/8 inch from the fold for a neat application.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Or use a piece of metal threshold strip up one side, and screw through it every few inches. That would make it a lot easier to replace the carpet next time.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

a scratching

Somebody&#39;s law says the more effort you put into a toy, or shelter, or scratching post for cats, the less the cats will use it.

Good luck.

Reply to
CWLee

My staples seemed to go halfway and crooked,also. So simple... the entire bottom of the gun has to be flat on the item being stapled to to get full penetration. I hope your problem is this simple.

Reply to
la

Maybe the wood is very/too hard. How well do the staples go in if you try to apply the staple gun directly on the wood?

Reply to
hrhofmann

The OP, littleboyblu87, posted this question on October 16, 2006, so my guess is that his cat's scratching post days have long since passed and perhaps so has his cat.

Reply to
TomR