recommend staple gun?

I tried my trusty hand stapler last week in an effort to re-cover some chair seats. Unfortunately it wasn't powerful enough to push the staples fully into the particle board for the seats (the last chairs were a softwood frame, on which it worked fine).

So, any recommendations for a staple gun that will work on hard particle board please? Without spending more than a new set of chairs would cost! :-}

The seemingly ubiquitous TRE550 seems to get very polarized reviews; other low end ones seem to have largely poor reviews.

TIA.

Reply to
Mike Scott

I had this problem. So I finished off the stables with a tack hammer.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That was of course staPles...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And there I was wondering how the horse would react to the tack hammer :-)

I've decided to try a different tack - I've ordered some 4mm staples instead of the 6mm I've been trying. I'm hoping they'll go all the way in.

This board seems to be the hardest stuff in the house - I've tried the manual stapler on sundry bits of scrap wood and chipboard, with no problem at all; it's just these particular seats.

Reply to
Mike Scott

Homebase do some good cheepy hand guns

Reply to
Jeff Spencer

On 22/05/18 09:06, Mike Scott wrote: .....

Just to say the 4mm staples work fine - they drive right in, and are quite firm enough to hold the seat cover.

Reply to
Mike Scott