Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Bill wrote: FWIW, I would get an "oil-free" model. Good luck!

Why oil-free? Someone wrote that oil-free models tend to be louder than oil models, and I want to get one that's a s quiet as possible.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

>>> or medium/fine wire?

-- Earl Warren

I'm trying to learn and make the best choices.

Why are you and Max ridiculing me and calling me an impostor?

I haven't written anything to imply that I'm an impostor.

Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost impossible to extract from the wood.

AResearch takes time. It takes time especially when people make stupid assumptions, such as assuming that someone with a million dollars wroth of sales is a millionaire. Of course, people who make stupid assumptions like that are going to make stupid assumptions about staple guns, air compressors and air tanks as well, so I'm just being careful to try to communicate clearly and make the right choices. There's nothing wrong with that.

I've followed the advice of many other people in other newsgroups, as well and much of it turned out to be wrong, and as always happens, much of the advice is conflicting (i.e. buy a tank and compressor, or buy a compressor only). So the adage applies here: "Once bitten, twice shy" and "Look before you leap". I get the impression that these concepts are foreign to you and Max; you just blindly leap without knowing what the hell you're getting into. Problem is, that usually ends up with bad results.

Since you don't have the patience for in-depth analysis involving a beginner, it's better simply to not read the thread, instead of reading it, becoming angry at me and insulting me and making the absurd insult that I'm a mischief-maker.

I've noticed this bizarre, tiresome phenomenon on other newsgroups too; every time I delve deeply into a topic, some folks lose patience and make the crazy assumption that my purpose in writing is to make mischief. It can take a lot of patience to train beginners. Clearly you and Max lack that patience. So simply stop reading, and then you won't get angry and make your silly, paranoid impostor insults! No one's forcing you to read my letters here.

I already wrote in this thread that I bought four stapler on the recommendations of other people, and that they all turned out to be bad choices, yet that message apparently didn't get through to you and Max; you want me to just buy another one with scant information at hand, and then have to return that one to the store as well, so that my frustration is increased and my search continues.

Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

I wasn't aware of the volume difference. I was trying to direct you towards one which is low in maintenance--the oil models need need to be maintained much like as an appliance such as a lawnmower. However, I believe the oil models are less expensive. Hope you'll mention what you end up choosing and how it works out!

Best, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Suggestion: Buy a compressor first, then it you decide you want one, buy a tank later.

Reply to
Bill

You also made the careless mistake of writing a joke ? that wasn't clearly a joke ? in your sig line, without putting a smiley behind it, thus leaving it open to misinterpretation. "Not always right, but never uncertain." That example of carelessness also demonstrates why I have to be careful in the decisions that I make, based on the recommendations of others. Since you are careless with your signature line, you can be careless with your advice regarding my equipment and supplies needs as well.

The snide insults I got from you and Max remind me of the immature bullying of elementary and high school bullies. You've shown impatience, rudeness and immaturity in dismissing me as a prankster. Grow up!

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

Bill wrote: ...

I'd agree that an oilless will be significantly noisier than a comparably-sized oiler compressor.

I'd not put much stock on the amount of routine maintenance an oil compressor will have--it's certainly not using oil in the same way as a combustion engine and rarely needs any attention.

Cost will depend more on capacity than oil/no-oil I think altho oilless compressors are smaller and hence less expensive as a general comparison of types/styles overall.

If noise is an issue, any compressor will make some and there's probably not a lot of actual difference in level. I think oilless tend to be more annoying in the noise they do make, however, as well as being loud. The 5-hp upright (oil, of course) isn't nearly as annoying as the little 2HP or so Lowe's-special Campbell-Hausfield oilless.

I've not had one of the pancakes of anybody's so can't really compare there.

--

Reply to
dpb

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:25:51 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

>>> Thanks, Chairman.

Didn't you imply that you'd had a million dollars worth of sales? And now you're admitting that you didn't stretch the canvas tightly enough in the first place to keep it from drooping when there's a bit of humidity in the air? Sheesh!

I said that stapler _could_ work and that I'd used 1/2" staples in that model, despite what you read. If you don't want to try it, don't. But don't just sit there and repeatedly whine about it, Robert.

Yeah, different people need different tools for their own situations. But it sounds like you need to do ALL your research first, before buying any more tools. Have you called any compressor manufacturers yet?

Hell, no. I research the -spit- out of most things before investing money into them. My mama din't raise no foo.

Might I suggest one last thing? Talk to other art framers and see what they've tried and didn't like, what they use, and why they use their current tools. I won't post on this subject again.

A million dollars worth of framing sold and you're still a beginner? Who could have guessed?

That's true. When people add to their list of requirements -after- requesting info, it gets a bit tedious. And the only reason I'm seeing this is that I forgot to twit filter you like I was going to. But you've got to remember that you are requesting favors of people and, especially if you cop an attitude, their patience may not last through an extended learning curve (such as I'm seeing with you.)

Oh, come on. I made several suggestions and you blew 'em off. That's fine. Do as you like, but don't whine.

Buh bye! I'm off to superficially think paranoid thoughts of other people. ;)

P.S: Are you limping yet?

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

jpb, Thank you for taking the time to explain some of these things. Much of my opinion was based on reading a few dozen reviews at Amazon, Sears, and other places. I would value "less annoying noise" and am glad to learn it is an option! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You're just made two more, superficial, false assumptions by not reading carefully and not thinking carefully. I DID write above that "Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched," However, I DID NOT write that any of those canvasses were mine.

Another false assumption you made: I DID NOT write that any of the million dollars worth of retail sales of art and framing were for stretched canvasses of mine. So far, the retail value of the stretched canvasses of mine that have sold, including framing, accounts for only about $750 of that $1,000,000.

One-half-inch staples is still too long. I read that one picture framer prefers one-quarter-inch-long staples in case they don't seat properly, so he can remove them more easily.

And if you're using 1/2" staples in a gun that's designed for 3/4-inch staples minimum length, that indicates to me that 1/4 inch MIGHT work for me, but a red flag goes up in my mind because you're using a product in a way that the manufacturer didn't intend. To state skepticism isn't 'whining'; it's just common sense, and common sense is based on information gleaned from experience. Experience has taught me that if someone else bends the rules, I may ? or may not ? get away with the same thing, depending on the circumstances.

I emailed Senco about the noise level of the PC0973 combo package and got the response that the compressor emits 69 decibels.

Then why are you criticizing me for doing the same thing? That's hypocrisy.

My mama din't raise no foo.

If that were true, she would have raised you not to be a hypocrite, to give people the benefit of doubt, and taught you not to jump to conclusions. She should also have taught you to be polite.

I'd already done that. Most of them seem to prefer Porter-Cable pneumatics, which someone wrote here are the loudest.

A beginner at canvas art, yes. There are other forms of art besides canvas. Who could have guessed that you would think superficially again?

As I wrote above, people who lose patience with me can simply stop reading what I write. That would be better than people continuing to read, getting angry about my attention to detail and skepticism, and then insulting me because of their anger.

And something you should realize that others benefit from threads such as these; Bill expressed gratitude in this thread because he learned that oil compressors tend to be louder than oilless.

Being a careful shopper isn't whining.

Doesn't surprise me.

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy, sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life" and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for you.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:38:02 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Robert, you idiot, I see now more than ever that I should have plonked you when I mentioned it. People take time out of their day to offer you their advice and you whine about it, repeatedly.

Note the sig line beneath this message and you MAY discern the humor in my postscript above. It came right after my PS, so you couldn't miss the meaning, or so I thought. It was the sig you snipped in order to write your last paragraph. Whadda maroon. Instead, you took it personally and out of context. Brilliant.

No reply is necessary as you are now firmly in my killfile.

P.S: If you don't thicken your skin on Usenet, you'll continue to be clueless, continue to distance people, and continue to be unhappy.

-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Robert Montgomery ranted

Damn Larry, I had no idea that you were such a bastard! LOL

(And he mispelled sarcasm too.)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Robert Montgomery" wrote

He's baaack!!

Max

Reply to
Max

I thought I learnt that compressors that use oil may make a "less annoying" sound then their oil-less compatriots. Now brethren, I think it's time we bow our heads in silence and reflection.

Reply to
Bill

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:42:03 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

I'm a bitch, too. Just ask him. ;)

Send him over. I'll staple his dunce hat to his hollow head. Y'know, to show him how the 1/2" staples actually do fit and work in the HF 2-in-1 Stapler/Nailer at 100psi. See? I'm not a bad guy.

-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Reply to
Larry Jaques

replying to notbob, Stickman wrote: If I may, the earplugs are an easy and obvious fix. I believe we want to know of more quite compressors for the sake of others. A lot of peoples, including myself, are earshot near household members, even in apartments....as this is the modern age of affordability.

Reply to
Stickman

What kind of wood? Pine includes 'southern yellow pine' which is somewhere between white oak and red oak in toughness. Pine also comes with knots (some of which are very hard).

What length of staples? If these are 1/2" long, and penetrated 3/8", would you consider using shorter staples?

Percussion is the driving principle in staplers, some noise is intrinsic to the method.

Reply to
whit3rd