Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Thanks, Puckdropper.

I'm curious to know why your compressor alone wouldn't have enough air to power your airbrush. I airbrushed about 20 years ago, using a little Badger compressor and there was no cycling; I was able to work uninterrupted because there was no loss of air pressure from the compressor. There was a constant, quiet purr from the motor as long as the compressor was plugged into an outlet. Maybe you're using a big, more powerful airbrush that requires more air?

It can be a hassle to take it to a gas station and fill

I agree. I think I'd rather buy a compressor and try to get a box made for it, cover the inside with carpet scraps as suggested and station the boxed compressor my balcony. (As long as the hose would be at least 15 feet long, because that's how far the hose would have to stretch to reach my stapling workstation.)

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

That should work, some cheaper small compressors come with these plastic slinky type hoses, I know mine did. FWIW mine is a 6.5 gallon Bostitch kit that came with a brad nailer & staple gun. Used that POS hose once, replaced it with a 25` Paslode hose and have never looked back.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I haven't made up my mind. I'm looking at all possibilities. That's also called brainstorming. Brainstorming means being open to all possibilities It's also known as "thinking outside the box".

I'll give you an example. When I was researching mounting art prints on a board, most people I consulted insisted that drymounting is the only way to go. Drymounting was not a good solution for me because it requires a large, expensive vaccuum table which I don't have enough space for, and contracting out the drymounting would not be a good option because I'd have to rely on an off-site sub-contractor and frequent trips off-site.

By researching thoroughly and keeping my options open, I found a suitable alternative: gluing the art prints to Gatorboard (that I custom-cut form four-by-eight foot Gatorboard sheets) using an art knife, and gluing the art prints to the board with an archival, museum-grade acrylic co-polymer adhesive and ordering custom picture frame from a wholesale picture framer.

Also, I have to research carefully because often people's recommendations are bad. I went with people's recommendations and so far they've all been unsuitable. Recommended to me were manual Stanley Sharpshooter staplers, manual Sears Craftsman Easy-Fire staplers, manual Arrow JT-21 staplers and Arrow electric lithium-ion. I tried them all and none of them turned out to be good solutions and I ended up returning three out of those four staplers. (I'm still using the Arrow JT-21 manual.)

Being a picky perfectionist has helped me to become a successful artist. And why should I give up and work at McDonald's? About a million dollars worth of my art and associated picture framing have sold. Ain't no way I'm giving up to work at McDonald's! (I will occasionally eat McDonald's food, though, when I feel like pigging out. :-))

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

Robert Montgomery wrote in news:vNprn.366$Z6.1@edtnps82:

The air compressor does a fine job running the air brush, but it's usually in the garage close to the nailers rather than out in the back building near the air brush.

A 25' coil hose costs about $10 [US] from Lowes, so even if your compressor comes with a short hose you can simply purchase the one you want. Almost everything uses the 1/4" connectors (except the really big stuff), so there's a good chance if you buy something it'll fit.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You actually like those coil houses (what I called a slinky above).

I always felt it was pulling back on me, so just went with a 25 foot straight hose, I coil it up and put it on a hook in my shop with the extension cords at the end of the day.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

FrozenNorth wrote in news:holl8p$k6g$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

The original one on the compressor would go back to it's 3' length. It would be the one that pulled back on you. The new one from Lowes has stretched to about 10' and doesn't pull back very hard at all.

From what little experience I've had with hoses and much more with extension cords, it seems the coil hose works better for my usage style. The air compressor stays in one place and the hose is pulled where it's needed and then the end is returned back to the air compressor. The rest of the hose follows naturally.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If that new hose works that way, good for you, it all depends upon how you work of course.

I like to be able to put the nail gun down, expect it to stay there, so I can come back with the next piece, pick it up and carry on. In the case of upholstery, which is what started this thread, I can see the advantage in that as well since you can put the tool down, pull/adjust the fabric and the tool is still there.

Not trying to argue (enough of that in here lately), just different stokes, different folks.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

If I had made up my mind, I wouldn't continue to ask questions.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

If you would like an unbiased opinion: based on what I read, I'd try the compressor-- maybe with an extra tank. Good luck!

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:14:11 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Robert, if you're a millionaire, why the hell are you renting, and why quibble over this? Just Do It!

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I didn't even vaguely imply that I'm a millionaire. Quite the opposite; I'm broke because of the Great Recession, as I've dubbed it, and my industry has been particularly hard-hit worldwide because I produce luxury items. That's especially why I need to be careful with purchasing decisions.

Only people who are naive about running a business would assume that a farmer, real estate agent, musician, artist - or whatever occupation - who has been responsible for the sales and spin-off sales (picture framing in my case) of a million dollars worth of their products is a millionaire.

You're confusing gross sales with net profit.

And even if I had personally gotten the million dollars ? which I didn't ? you're assuming that I still have all of the money I earned, which I don't.

I also wrote that part of the million dollars was for "associated picture framing". I didn't get any of that money, and it accounts for about $750,000 of the million. But the fact the picture framers and retail art buyers were willing to pay $750,000 for the framing of my art shows that I created and published shows that I generally know what I'm doing and that it's an insult to be told that I should give up my career to work at McDonald's ? simply because I'm pointing out drawbacks of various options and resaearching carefully before deciding what equipment to buy.

That attitude implies that there are only blacks and whites, whereas in fact most issues are various shades of gray. It's a simplistic viewpoint.

Your gross misinterpretation in assuming that I'm a millionaire because I wrote a million dollars worth of my art ? and the picture framing that went with it - has sold, clearly shows why the attitude "Not always right, but never uncertain" is foolish, because you haven't considered all of the various, possible gray areas that can apply to my statement that a million dollars worth of my products and associated products have sold.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

Robert, Check the pawn shops, you can find some good deals there. What part of the country are you in? I'll send ya a staple gun. If your only doing a few frames a week, do them during the day when most people are at work and you shouldn't have to worry about the noise. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to stretch several many frames. Do you need a wide crown

medium/fine wire?

ChairMan

You've convinced me even, before I read all this, that you are someone who will get their money's worth from a compressor. Indeed, it sounds like you can't afford not to own one (unless you know where you can borrow one). FWIW, I would get an "oil-free" model. Good luck!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:14:03 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery scrawled the following:

Robert, haven't you heard of Robert Heinlein, the famous science fiction author? That's his humorous wit. Don't you like it?

OK, you said nothing about selling real estate but when you said "my art" I figured it was -your- artistry on top of -your- framing so

-you- were the majority shareholder in its sale. Shame on you for misleading me, eh? I doubt I was the only one here which was misled.

Ciao!

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

or medium/fine wire?

Thanks, Chairman.

I don't know if I need a wide or medium crown for artist's canvas stretching. This is one of the things that's been troubling me.

I read somewhere that the wide crowns hold the fabric better.

Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched, but I don't know if having wide crowns would hold the fabric tightly enough to reduce the loosening of the canvas.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

I see. You didn't put a smiley after the joke, so I didn't know it was a joke.

I read some of his books when I was young, actually.

Robert M.

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

Also I don't know what minimum length of staples to be able to use.

I heard of a picture framer who prefers one-quarter-inch-long tines so that he can pull the staples out of the wood if they're not seated properly, but most of the pneumatics I've been recommended have as their minimum tine-length 3/8ths of an inch.

And somebody in this thread even recommended a gun that shoots staples that have tines that are a minimum of 3/4ths of an inch, which is at least double the length that they have to be to shoot staples into artists' stretcher bars.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Montgomery

> or medium/fine wire?

He's baaack!!

Reply to
Max

My brother brought home an electric truck horn once. He was afraid to hook it up so I touched the wires to the battery of my dad's Traveall. Just about peed my pants it was so loud. Dropped the dang thing and both of us just stared at each other.

Reply to
scritch

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:48:59 -0600, the infamous "Max" scrawled the following:

>> or medium/fine wire?

I can see now that it's a true million dollar troll, can't you? Now engaging th' twit filter, Cap'n!

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques