Robinson bits

That's not it. Robertson bits/screws are denominated in metric. We use Imperial measures. Except for spark plugs, of course.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Strange, I find them all over, not at the home centers, but at places that sell real tools and cater to professionals. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Why is it that tool kits (drill bit sets, screwdriver sets, etc.) made in the US never include Robinson bits? They are far superior to Phillips or slot drivers. Just curious.

Reply to
Tellmeaboutit

D'oh, that should be Robertson...

Reply to
Tellmeaboutit

Probably due to NIH Syndrome (Not Invented Here); as you're probably aware, the Robertson screw was invented by a Canadian. You're right, the Robertson

*is* far superior. Here in the US, most home centers sell dual head (Robertson/Phillips) screws, and Robertson drivers that will fit in a power drill -- but I have *never* seen a Robertson screwdriver in any store in the US. They must be fairly common in Canada, though, 'cause I didn't have any trouble at all finding them at Home Depot or Sears the last time I was in Windsor. OTOH, if I had wanted to buy a Phillips screwdriver in those places... I might've been out of luck. I honestly didn't see any Phillips screwdrivers at HD, although I think Sears did have them.

Doug Miller

Because a Canadian invented them and the US is too stubborn to let them in!

: )

Reply to
Noozer

Most HO's do not need overpriced 'real' tools. ie: My black and decker jigsaw and router are over 25 years old and still run like new.

Reply to
martik

Funny that americans use zippers that were invented by a canadian:)

Reply to
martik

25 years ago Black & Decker were real tools. Buy one today and get back to me in 2030 and let me know how that Chinese crap is holding up. Dave (BTW I bet your old B&D's will still be humming along.
Reply to
Dave Morrison

but I have *never* seen a Robertson screwdriver in any store in the US. ]

Sears sells them tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

I have an old B&D circular saw. It is all silver on the outside, but believe it is aluminum rather than silver. I need to research on how old it is. I found it in a big rolling wooden box with lots of other old woodworking equipment. It still runs, and I believe it is at least 25 years old.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And adjustable wrenches. I don't believe I've ever seen a metric adjustable wrench.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

I am curious as to why they don't seem to use the name Robertson any more, but call them square drive instead. Wouldn't that be like calling Phillips, + drive?

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Except, of course, for the size you urgently need now.

Reply to
clifto

On 2/8/2005 8:38 AM US(ET), Alan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I didn't know what Robertson screws were, but it seems I have been using them for a few years. I used square drive screws on my vinyl fencing, deck, and other projects around the house. I've used coated, aluminum, and stainless steel screws. I haven't seen a square drive screwdriver, but I haven't been looking for one, since I have square drive bits for my cordless and also for my Stanley replaceable bit screwdriver. I am looking at two bits now. One has 'SQ2' stamped on it and the other has 'R2' stamped on it. I guess the 'R' stands for Robertson?

Reply to
willshak

Robinson screws and screwdrivers are a Canadian invention that were made in Milton Ontario, as far as I'm concerned they are far superior to other screw types as they rarely strip or skip, how many other screws can you start with one hand (just holding the screw driver while the screw stays on the end) and how many screws can you hold upside down. As I'm sure many of you already know Robinson screws are #ed and coloured from smallest to largest Yellow, Green, Red, Black (Red being #2 and most common).

Oh ya the Robinson never took off in the States because Robinson wouldn't allow places like FORD to purchase his patent rights to use on their cars, Philips on the other hand would and was an American invention so it took off on the US side, in Canada if you do electrical you use the full gamete of Robinson colours.

Reply to
HotRod

I have Robertson bits that were part of a Black & Decker set bought in the US.

Perce

On 02/07/05 08:55 pm Tellmeaboutit tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Probably for the same reason they don't include Torx bits -- in the US, they're a specialty product, and the vast majority of purchasers would have zero use for them. It's certainly not difficult to buy them if you need them.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Huh?

1) Robertson screwdrivers are denominated as #0, #1, #2, #3, etc just like Phillips screwdrivers. Metric has nothing to do with it.

2) Robertson screws come in the same variety of sizes and lengths as any other screw, and are denominated in exactly the same fashion, e.g. a 6-32 x 3/4" machine screw.

3) Metric dimensions and labelling have not proven to be an impediment to the importation, manufacture, and use in the U.S. of plenty of metric bolts and wrenches.

4) The spark plugs most widely used in the U.S. have 5/8" or 13/16" hex heads.

Doug Miller