Behr Paint - any good?

OK, I know, Depot brand. I know how they cut deals with vendors, etc. But, that's doesn't necessarily make it bad :-)

How does it actually compare? Opinions? Any independent lab test of paint qualities (application, cover, durability?)

Thanks,

Reply to
Still Just Me...

Consumer Reports has rated Behr highly for quite a while. HD has a sale on now.

Reply to
LouB

I don't know much about how they are rated, but I used their stain for the outside of my home about 14 years ago, and it was still in good shape this year when I repainted. The stain was listed as good for 10 years and did much better than that. When I repainted/restained the house I again bought the same product. I was pleased.

Reply to
Ken

eir stain for

I cant complain about Behr, along with the quality it also seems to be very forgiving for the DIY user. A lot of the mistakes that DIYers make in applying it dont shoew up,

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Sounding OK so far... more opinions welcome.

Reply to
Still Just Me...

I regularly buy Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore, but recently tried Behr and it is very good choice. Plus, I can buy it on a Sunday.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've painted four home interiors with Behr. Three were using an airless sprayer and one (current) was rollers and brush. My exterior is stucco and I've sprayed it with Behr.

The product has been good to me :-)

Reply to
Oren

CR ratings (for what they're worth) are equivalent to others of equivalent price point/quality/type.

As with any, the long-term success is dependent upon preparation, preparation, preparation.

We put 80 gal (oil) undercoat/40 gal (latex) high-gloss white on the old barn; it works very well in application, covers well, etc. After 8-yr, where the prep work wasn't quite up to snuff shows, rest still looks very good. This was an 40x66x40-ft peak 90-yr old wood barn that had last paint job probably 50 years prior so extremely weathered. Owing to the size, it was simply impossible to get every square inch as well prepped as it need to have done despite the weeks spent doing so w/ sander and the oxalic bleaching. On the new material, it is holding very well indeed.

Recommended; at least the top-of-the-line--I believe there are at least a couple of grades of Behr at HD as w/ most the other lines.

--

Reply to
dpb

Its ALWAYS worked well for me, in fact its the ONLY paint I will use.

Buy the semi gloss its very durable and easily washable

Reply to
bob haller

Well, now, come over here and sit by my knee. As I tell you a story about Behr Rabbit, and his arch rival, Behr fox..... years ago a man named Aesop wrote about this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's good...I know ALOT of my drywall customers use it and really like it....I haven't tried it yet but I am going to on MY stuff FIRST...Just in case...LOL...

Reply to
benick

"Still Just Me..." wrote in = message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I've used Behr's flat paint (on the walls & ceiling) and satin paint (on = all the interior woodwork). I've found both versions to be easy to apply = (ie, nice spreading and workable), and very good in terms of maintenance = (both can be cleaned easily if something is spillled on them).

Jean

Reply to
Jean

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:h2jlbu $h6n$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You pull that one from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show? :-)

Reply to
Red Green

No, it just popped into my head.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

benick wrote: ...

I've only used Behr exterior paints so no direct experience. I'd have no reservations, however, w/ the same caveats as previously noted.

For interior I've been using a Glidden product--don't recall the actual line, but I like it quite well. Again, it isn't the bottom-of-the-barrel in their product lineup...

--

Reply to
dpb

Consumer Reports has a ongoing stain testing program, I dont know if they have done paints in their longevity tests. The biggest issues are to paint a clean, cool, non glossy surface, in shade, when it wont get above maybe 85 or be soon cooked by the sun, I know for some south exposures that is near impossible unless you start painting near dusk.

Reply to
ransley

Behr paint is pretty good. I never had a complaint about it.

I used to use Behr for all my clients, but switched to Sherwin Williams (SW) a couple of years ago. SW paint is as good as Behr, and the people behind the counter are well trained. If I need advice, they know their product. The guy behind the Home Depot paint counter is sometimes on the ball, but is usually a high school kid who knows how to run the color matcher.

SW gives me a business discount that brings their prices down to the same range as Home Depot. It was 34% the last time I checked.

Reply to
SteveBell

SteveBell wrote: ...

All goes to show, it all depends... :)

Here SW refused to budge off of retail price even a nickel even for the

80 gal primer/40 gal topcoat in a single order whereas HD dealt over 10%, don't recall exact figure and delivered onsite from 60 miles away at no additional charge by volunteering to divert the truck from Wichita to Garden City via Liberal and coming to the farmstead to unload besides.

The department manager at HD was very helpful; the local SW store has afaict only HS kids working in the store that know nothing including how to run the paint matcher... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

I bought Behr once. Semi-gloss to paint a small shelf. Quit after not covering with the third coat. OTOH, Ben Moore and S Williams are not even in the same universe = applying either is better than some sex. A less worthy painter can do a good job with good paint. Behr is the only purchase I made of any other than Moore or Williams since being gravely disappointed with Sears paint about 40 years ago....didn't Sears guarantee a "free" gallon if the first didn't cover? I was poor, but not about to waste all the time and effort again with crap paint. I hate the prep work, but don't skip anything to finish fast....clean, dust, sand, tape, dry, pick, peel, line up the planets, prime, ...

Reply to
norminn

Been my exprience as well..No discount from Sherwin Williams even on big orders...Good paint though...I do have an account there...I do get 10% off at the local lumber yard on Ben Moores but their prices are higher to begin with...Good paint as well...I use both..I let the customer pick if they want...As I said , everthing I've heard and seen Behr is good as well...Gonna give it a try on my next home project before I use it at work though just to see how it goes both spraying and rolling..

Reply to
benick