Screw Head (triangular) Question ?

Hi,

Trying to repair a kids plastic toy. Like most, it is held together by really small tapered screws. Screws have a pointed tip.

But these are a bit different.

Most of the toys I've worked on, (my Grandson is not the most gentle) have screw heads for the screws like this that have a small indent for a Phillips head screwdriver. Usually one of the Jewelers types that comes in those kits. Pretty small; maybe a mm or two.

But, easy to find a Phillips from these kits that works.

These seem to be different.

They appear to have a triangular indentation in the head. Obviously not for a Phillips.

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the head ? Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ? What are they called ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

IDK what they are called, but I've seen them. I have a "security bit set" from Harbor Freight that I'm pretty sure includes that. It also has a lot of other common bits for screws designed to keep you out. Like most HF stuff, it's cheap, think it was under $10 for the whole set. Might find similar on Ebay too.

Reply to
trader_4

This is what I have ($5 at a local import/salvage store). It doesn't show the type your looking for? (the larger set doesn't have it either)

bob_villa

bob_villa

That's swell, except there is no triangular bit. Good grief.

Reply to
trader_4

That's what I said...it isn't readily available. But thanks anyway Charlie Brown!

Reply to
bob_villa

I did a search for screwdriver bits at Mcmaster.com and a little chart showed up:

John Grabowski

John G

Triangle screw driver, of course you can buy them. Diffferent sizes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for All the help. Much appreciated.

Looks like I have a TP3 type.

Sure have learned a lot.

Regards, Bob

Bob

Best to get the molybdenum-titanium-strontium alloy bits, Some of those children's toys can be pretty tough.

But I haven't seen triangular yet, and i have a set much bigger than the red rubber set BV posted.

Reply to
micky

BenignBodger

Tri-Wings, TA, or TP3, depending. For a one off an allen wrench and a Dremel ought to get you close. Or, if you have a Torx set, try stuffing the tightest one in. Or filing down a sacrificial flat screwdriver until it's close might get it.

Like the Maker crowd says 'If you can't take it apart you don't own it.'

Reply to
rbowman

Don't know what they are called, but a while back I ordered a kit that had

20 or 30 bits in it from Amazon or off ebay from China that had a few screwdriver bits that sound like those. Looks similar to a Phillips except 3 things instead of 4. I don't think I payed more than about 10$ or less for the kit of small screwdrivers.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Haven't got a clue what the official name of the screws is, but I've heard then called many names that can't be printed in a public forum!!!! The screwdrivers ARE fairly widely available and are included in the "electronic repair" screwdriver kit I have. They are common on Cheap Chinese Crap toys and technologic crap - like Asus notepads etc.

Reply to
clare

There are the Y heads, and the TRIANGULAR head - like a 3 lobed philips, and a 3 cornered robertson.

Reply to
clare

Apple uses tri-point bits for the battery in some of its Macbooks. Different from tri-wing. That may be what is used on the toy.

Available in this set:

In the HF 100 piece bit set they have very large tri-point bits, but those are not the ones you need for the toy.

Reply to
sms

This is what im looking into. I had to use a tiny flathead. It fit quite perfectly to do the trick but im concerned of stripping the head.

Reply to
Dee

Sounds like a security bit. Harbor Freight has a kit where you get probably 50 of them, various types, for maybe $10. IDK if that one is in it, but you could check.

Reply to
trader_4

I have seen triangle screw heads on a security fence, but one side of each slot is straight, while the other end tapers gently back up to the screw heads. You can screw them in with a triangle bit, but I don't see any way to unscrew them. I suspect you have to grind them off.

Reply to
TimR