Window AC unit

I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

You should easily get 5 years. I've had window units last 15+, but I don't know if they are still made as well.

Some brands still offer a 5 year guarantee on the sealed system so I'd look for that. Many of the brands are identical. When Frigidaire took over the old Emerson plant in NJ I used to go there a couple of times a season. The same unit went down the assembly line, but the front cover would change making it one of a half dozen brands. Now they are made in China.

I assume you did a little checking and the 8k is appropriate for what you want to cool. No benefit to too large a unit as it will not dehumidify properly. Too small won't cool.

AC sure makes sleeping a lot better. Great invention.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No truer words have ever been spoken. When I was a kid all we had was a window fan that was run at night only. I don't know how we ever got to sleep but we did. Can't live without air conditioning now.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Yes I have done researçh.

Thinking about getting for my apartment.

It has a chiller and they will not fix it, or they want to limit the temp.

I have seen three other apts with window units.

I would guess that the electrical usage of those apts exceeds other apts wi thout window a.c.s :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

without window a.c.s :-)

If they won't fix the AC, I hope they are going to give you a rent reduction. Who pays for the electricity if you put in an AC? Many landlords charge extra if electric is included. And if you have to pay for it, sounds like you're paying for an AC unit and the electricity, when AC is supposed to be provided by the landlord?

Reply to
trader_4

I have a Frigidaire 8,000 BTU unit that is 10 years old that I bought from Lowes. Still runs great.

Reply to
Ron

I have a Kenmore that was used when I got it 15 years ago that still works just fine . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

s without window a.c.s :-)

It is all bills paid. So they pay for electricity.

$150 of my rent goes to electricity.

I know that a 1 bedroom does not use that much on average.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I never had problems with window units. Used 5k to 23k btu. I would read reviews on noise level. I tried to use one in bedroom, had to put chair between to reduce noise level. Had good luck with used units. I see them for sale cheap all the time. I like remote controlled digital readout.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Thanks for all the good info. ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

pts without window a.c.s :-)

I hope you're getting a great deal on the rest of the rent. $150 is my electric bill for a large 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house. Unless you have electric heat or an unusually high cost for electric, $150 is nuts.

Reply to
trader_4

Sounds like a real ripoff for the electricity, especially since they don't provide working AC. My 2350sf house has never had an electric bill higher than $178 in the depth of the hottest most humid summer (and I live in the mid-south where we do have heat and humidity). I cringe when my combined utilities hit $250 for electric, gas, water and waste for any given month.

But back to window AC units, I had a 10,000BTU Hampton Bay (which is the house brand for Home Depot) which I finally removed a few days ago. It was pretty cheap and lasted at least 13 years in my woodworking shop where it routinely clogged with dust and literally had to be hosed out to clean the evaporator fins. Not a bad ROI. I've ordered an equivalent LG unit but it hasn't been delivered yet so I can't opine on its relative merits.

Reply to
BenignBodger

Let me put it to you these way, I can not tell you what to purchase but what "NOT" to purchase and that is Federich two Tons you lucky if you get two years out of.

I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
tony944

This house I live in averages about $80 a month. The last house I lived in was considerably more. I have fairly efficient hvac small 2bedroom house.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Thanks for all the responses.