Moen shower cartridge-when to replace?

Hello,

I've had my own personal hell with our bathroom shower over the past few years or so. We have a walk in shower with a Moen wall mounted single knob shower faucet. When we moved into the house, within a few years we started getting a slow drip from the shower head. I replaced the cartridge with a Moen certified replacement. 4 years later, same thing. After taking off the shower head and making sure it wasn't that. I replaced the cartridge again (same Moen certified replacement). Now, 10 months later, woke up this morning to the sound of a couple drips hitting the shower floor. Went in and saw that the head was dripping (must have just started as there were only a couple drops on the floor0. I took the head off and cleaned the inside of the spout. A few minutes later, I felt inside the spout and there was a little bit of moisture in there. So I let it sit and watched. Seems like a small drip came out every 5-10 minutes. I'm "thinking" (uneducated guess), that some buildup or something might be interfering with the seal on the valve. My question though, is how long should I wait before changing it, or might it be something that's just temporarily stuck near the seal and might work itself free when the shower is used again? it just seems like 10 months is awfully quick and the other Moen faucets in the house are all fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Tony

ransley

Reply to
Big_Jake

I had a problem in my house with frequent faucet repairs. We get a fair amount of rust/sediment that is not in visible a glass of water , but certainly did wear out the faucets fast. I put in a whole house sediment filter and instead of changing them once a year or so, they have lasted over

15 years so far.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is some good advice. A simple whole house filter seems it will benifit all appliances.

tom @

Just Joshin