Unable to remove Moen faucet cap

I'm trying to change a cartridge in a Moen bathroom faucet (2 handled chate au style, see picture below). the problem is that I cannot even remove the top cap to remove the handle. they say use a screwdriver or sharp instrum ent. It doesn't work. I keep scratching the cap. And suggestions?

buddygenki

Straight pin or a needle to get it open far enough to insert a putty knife of other thin blade . Be SURE you're at the line where the cap meets the handle ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Try here:

Looks to me like the cap should pry off.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That or a knife blade is what I'd do. If you break it Moen may most likely have a replacement to sell you although may not be cheap.

Reply to
Frank

De-grunge the joint with a stiff bristle brush. Maybe let a little penetrating oil sit around it overnight?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It does say a flat-headed screwdriver. That's ridiculous. Even the smallest are thicker than a knife edge.

And the drawings in 4a and 5a don't match the words.

Reply to
Micky

Why would you pry with a knife? Seems like a good way to ruin a knife. They claim a screwdriver would work so they must think there is enough there that a screw driver would get purchase. Using something thinner is probably okay.

Mainly what the page shows is that the way in is through that cap and the cap is not screwed in, it just pops out. I'm well aware that it's not always that easy.

I don't see the problem, but who cares.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I have a knife that I use as a tool, and for just this sort of thing. I've never ruined it. Knives have a sharpened edge.

Someone who pays more attention to the picture than the words and soneone who doens't speak English.

Reply to
Micky

replying to buddygenki, Karl Anderson wrote: I feel your pain! I am also trying to replace a Moen cartridge and there is absolutely no gap for a person to insert an object to pry out the cap! This is ridiculous!

Reply to
Karl Anderson

The caps can take some fiddling with. For the cartridges you can buy a puller. Few years ago I hired a plumber when 3 small jobs needed doing. One was the ~40 year old cartridge to be pulled from Moen in shower. Year before I had pulled one of similar age from the bathtub and luckily did not break anything using locking pliers and a hammer.

Reply to
Frank

replying to buddygenki, Knitz wrote: Tiny sewing machine screwdriver worked for me. One of the caps came off by itself, and I can’t find it.

Reply to
Knitz