Can't remove faucet cartridge- Moen 1225

I have a leaky faucet and contacted Moen. They sent me a new cartridge 1225. The problem is I can't remove the old cartridge. I removed the pin but the old catridge won't come out. I tried to twist with the plastic cap, but that didn't seem to do much. Does anyone have any ideas how to get that old cartridge out?

By the way, its a single handle bath faucet.

Reply to
Senin

The Home Depot, Menards, Loews Ace, Tru-Value, almost any well stocked hardware store sells a cartridge removal tool. It screws into the threads in the center of the cartridge and forces it out when you turn the tool with an adjustable wrench. I have a metal chrome one I paid $25 for, then I got a mostly composite one for $12. If you can buy one and see no future use, sell it on CraigsList.com to the next guy! Now to the real issue, the 1225. In the old days an OEM cartridge was brass. I had a replacement call one day many years ago so I stopped at Ace. The 1225 brass was about $17 and the plastic was about $10 at that time. Being a responsible guy I bought the brass. After the install it still leaked so I called the toll free Moen help line. They tell me that the plastic is actually a 1225 Magnum. I was using a brass OEM replacement instead of the oversized Magnum that would (and did) stop the leak. Be sure you have a 1225 Magnum to replace the OEM. Be sure to use an ample amount of silicone lube when installing the new. They probably gave you a small tube with the cartridge. Moen has always treated me well, sending me free replacement parts when Their product had failed, they even pay the shipping. I almost always install the one handle Moen so that I can stock a cartridge on the truck. Good luck.

Dave Scudamore Aroundtoit Handyman

Reply to
DavesTeam

I had one stuck like that last month. Put a vice grip on it and tapped it with a hammer. Had wife push on wall to make sure I did not loosen any tiles. Finally got it out. Don't think I had ever changed that one and house is over 30 years old.

Frank

Reply to
frank.logullo

faucet and contacted Moen. They sent me a new

After a week of trying I came to the conclusion that I could not take out the cartridge by myself. I bought a cartridge puller. Using that, the cartridge slid out, easy as pie. The puller made all the difference in the world.

Reply to
Senin

Ace hardware sells a cartidge puller that does the trick. (Mine was stuck beyond belief.) The puller screws into the same threads that hold the faucet knob. Once attached, you turn the puller handle counter clockwise as the body of the puller seats against the faucet body. After several revolutions (and groans by the faucet) it will come out. The puller was

16.99 at Ace. Since my house is full of these cartidges, I will gladly hang on to it!!!

------------------------------------- Craig in Cypress, Texas

Reply to
cscherer

My local Ace used to lend you, for a deposit, a "tool kit" that would do it. Basically, you pull out the center control rod ... the thing that goes in and out to turn off and on the water and turns for hot and cold. You are basically breaking the old cartridge. You then use a tap (part of the Ace tool kit) and thread it into the hole left in the cartridge. Remove tap and insert a approx. 1" long x 5/16" dowel (part of the Ace kit) and reinsert the tap. As you thread the tap into the hole and when it hits the dowel, the cartridge now follows the tap and comes out of the faucet. There was also some kind of cartridge puller that the Ace guy says usually doesn't work, so you have to go to the semi-destructive method I described. For subsequent cartridge removals I just went to my box of taps and cut a piece of dowel.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I have had Moens for years. What I use for removing stubborn cartridges is a slide hammer. I originally bought this tool to use as a dent puller but selecting the right screw lets me pop out the cartridge quickly.

Now my neighbors have learned to borrow it when needed.

Reply to
Charlie

Mine was so frozen it chewed up the plastic tool. It was so frozen I had to drill out the head of the screw holding the handle, leaving the screw shaft stuck in the stem, so the standard puller was not going to work.

I ended up using a hammer and screwdriver to tap on the raised tabs to break the cartridge loose and twist it. I grabbed the stem with vice grips, but it wouldn't come out. So I tried penetrating oil, then vinegar, and much more tapping with the hammer. Eventually it came out about 1/2" then stopped - so I tapped it in and pulled it out a couple more times. The the big pull - and out came the core, leaving the cartridge body behind.

!$%%#^***!!!

My local Ace doesn't carry the special kit mentioned some places that includes a tap and a dowel to push out the cartridge body. I thought I'd check the auto parts store to see if they had some sort of puller I could anchor in the water outlet holes in the cartridge body. They didn't, but they did have some large screw/bolt extractor tools. The one sized for bolts 5/8 to 7/8 - 1/2" in diameter at it's shaft - did the trick. Drive it in with

6 taps of my hammer, twist it counter-clockwise with a wrench to set the extractor and further loosen the body, and then pull it out with the vice-grips - about two minutes total, and the extractor was only $10.
Reply to
Yacko Warner

replying to Senin, jody wrote: I'm trying to replace the handle cartridge for our Moen 1225. We cannot even get it unscrewed to begin removing cartridge.

Reply to
jody

Did you check the Moen website?

They have an 800 number you can call for help, if their video is not enough. When I replaced mine, I recall it was quite a task.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

replying to Senin, Richard Lilley wrote: I had similar problems, but in the end iI won. When using the plastic/nylon tool you have to be gentle with it. Instead of forcing it to turn one way apply pressure right, then left, then right, etc, and then it will eventually break loose. After that you can usually pull it straight out with a good pair of pliers. As far as disassembly goes, make a line up behind the sink of each part in the order of removal, and when reassembling, just start at the end and work your way along the line in reverse order. Taking pics as you go with a cell phone helps too. If you got it all together and the hot and cold is reversed, just remove the parts installed AFTER the cartridge was installed and rotate the cartridge with the plastic/nylon tool 180 degrees and reassemble. That will fix it.

Reply to
Richard Lilley