Moen kitchen faucet (horse shoe piece broken)

Hi: I have a Moen 7300 faucet in the kitchen, the 'standard' one that you see in most kitchens (with one handle and a spray fitting right next to it). The handle just came off in my hand yesterday, turns out something just snapped.I called Moen and they said they would be sending me the replacement "horse shoe shaped" piece/other parts of the kit by next week.

Question: Is there anything i can do to still be able to use the faucet in the meantime even without the handle? I tried unscrewing the big screw that holds this "horse shoe shaped" piece and tried to move things around a bit, but the faucet started leaking and then i could not shut it off without turning the water off. Now, the dish washer doesnt work, since the water is shut off completely.

In short, the kitchen is a bit of a mess. Any advice will be sincerely appreciated, as always.

Thanks much, Manju

Reply to
ThinkNotes

The horseshoe "keeper" holds the cartridge from turning. Pic:

You *might* be able to make a paper clip work...

Call some hardware stores to see if they have the part locally.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Actually, the handle coming off in your hand has nothing to do with the cartridge retainer. There is a horse-shoe retainer there, but also a yoke in the handle that levers the center piece of the cartridge up and down, and I imagine that is what is busted. If you didn't take the cartridge apart (not a smart idea when the water is turned on, if you pull that retainer you can blow the cartridge out of the faucet body and into your eye), then you should be able to work the center thingy up and down with a pair of pliers. I have done it often. Not sure why it might have started to leak except that maybe you weren't forceful enough pushing the thing down into the faucet (that's how it shuts off).

Reply to
donald girod

What screw are you talking about? and by leaking do you mean it came out the spout and you couldnt't turn it off? You need to look at a diagram. After taking off the cap and the temp indicator you should see a screw that holds the handle on. Since it came off in your hand that screw is either not there or the head pulled off with the handle. After taking the handle off you should see a dome cap and pivot which you also take off (both unscrew counterclockwise as one unit. Then you will see the handle adapter/connector assembly which has a screw in the center and holds it to the cartridge stud. Then there is a pivot stop piece which looks like a nut but I believe it just sits in place. There is no screw that holds the horseshoe shaped piece in place (by the way the horseshoe shaped piece is called a retainer clip). The retainer clip slides into the valve body and holds the cartridge in place. Did you push or pull on the retainer clip? If so you need to turn the water supply valves off and push the retainer clip into place.

The thing that snapped is probably just the screw that hold the handle on.

After you are certain that the retainer clip is fully pushed into the valve body, you can turn the water supplie valves back on. The stud that sticks up and has a screw hole in it is the valve stem which pulls up to turn the water on and turns left or right to provide hot or cold water. Maybe you pulled it up some and just didn't push it down far enough to turn it completely off. You should be able to get a pair of vice grips (or just a pair of pliers) on the flats and push the stud down to turn the water off and pull up to turn the water on; turn left or right for hot or cold water.

Your repair parts will undoubtedly come with a diagram and repair procedure. Good luck.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Check with Moen, I believe that yoke has been recalled. You should be able to get a new one free.

Reply to
Dave Wetmore

Thanks everyone, for all your help. DO appreciate you taking the time to write detailed pieces of advice/directions.

Manju

Reply to
ThinkNotes

Okay, so the Moen parts showed up tonite. Here is the problem (revised situation, if you will!):

  1. It wasnt the retainer clip but the "Handle Adapter and Connector Assembly" that had snapped, leaving behind a "horseshoe shaped piece". That had mistakenly confused some of you, who had thought it was the retainer clip,which indeed is truly horse-shoe shaped. My apologies for that miscommunication.

  1. I put the retainer nut and bearing washer assembly, followed by the pivot stop (white color circular piece), then inserted the Handle Adapter and Connector Assembly, then inserted the big screw, then put the Dome and Pivot Retainer Assembly, topped it off with the Plug and attached the handle.

  2. The problem is that the handle doesnot lever up and down anymore, it stays stuck in one location. The faucet works fine if i directly lift the cartridge with a pair of pliers. I wonder where i am going wrong? When i put the pivot stop, where/how does the Handle Adapter and Connector Assembly go on top of that? Is there a certain way that it should face?

Any advice will be truly appreciated, i know it is tedious to explain these things in writing.

Sincerely Manju

Reply to
ThinkNotes

Hi,

I just went through the same thing with a Moen kitchen faucet a acouple of months ago, and I think that there's a trick to this when you put the handle back on, but I don't remember what it was. The woman that I spoke to at Moen knew exactly what the problem was when I called them...within nanoseconds of my describing the problem.

Have you tried calling their 800 number and described your problem?

Reply to
Ohaya

Plug?

My diagrams says that the raised edge of the pivot stop must face forward. That may be your problem. The rest seems to be intuitive, but if not then the new piece must fit down on the stem (I believe the long edge is parallel with the flats on the stem) and if this long edge of the new piece is turned to the front, the handle should be to the front ( I don't think it can fit otherwise).

Leave the temp >

Reply to
George E. Cawthon