Soaker hoses?

Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable ones around?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

You may have too much pressure. what is your pressure measured at the hose hydrant? I blew one up several times with our 110+ psi. You may want to regulate if it's over 80.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have not found any that lasted an entire summer, and I have tried many.

I'm thinking about using pastic tubing glued together that I will drill small holes in and bury around my foundation. I will have an upright tube near a spigot that I can connect to when needed.

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

I've got some I have been using for a few years. I got them used from someone else, and they had obviously been used before I got them.

Mine came with a washer with a small hose to regulate the water flow/pressure.

Reply to
Bob F

Andy comments:

In my garden I use 3/4 PVC pipe cut to the length of a row, usually about 20 feet. . I attach a hose, with appropriate fittings, at one end, cap the far end, and drill small holes about six inches apart for the length. The holes are about 1/32 dia or so.

I move the entire pipe from row to row. These pipes last forever. Once in a while I will notice a hole has gotten stopped up and I stick a very small wire or drill bit in to clean it out.

In this manner I can irrigate the plants, but not the 3 foot spaces in between, which really slows down weed growth....

Perhaps you can use this technique .

I also use it in shrubbery and flower beds. Very inexpensive and permanent.

I never trusted soaker hoses. Especially since I have a dog.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:gv26oa$prv$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Just get a regular hose from Harbor Freight. It should leak everywhere adequately :-)

Reply to
Red Green

| > Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable | > ones around? | >

| > Perce | | I have not found any that lasted an entire summer, and I have tried many.

The one I bought at Lowes last summer has a seven year warranty. The one it replaced had been in service for more than a decade before it finally became so brittle that it cracked. I take a lazy approach to soaker hoses and this may or may not help me: once I place them I never move them and I do not take them in in the winter. Note that these are the cheap hoses with lots of little holes.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I have had soakers for several years now with excellent results. Make sure you don't lose the insert that goes in the supply side that only allows a little hole's worth of water in it. They say don't let the soakers stay out in the sun, else they turn brittle, but I found they also spit water in one place other than where you want it; I cover the soaker with coarse mulch for this reason. And I also invested in a basic timer which I've had for years. I just set a soaker to 30 min. and forget it. If the soaker breaks, a hose repair thing, male/male, was a simple, effective fix. I've had to do that

2-3 times. I think I got mine at Wal-Mart.

John

Reply to
John

I never understood why anyone would buy a brand new hose full of holes. Hell, go to the dump and you can get someone's throw away hose with lots of holes for free, and if you want more holes, drive a few nails in it, let your dog chew on it, or use your favorite firearm on it.

Mandrake

Reply to
Mandrake

Id say pressure might be your issue and sun, UV. Ive had the same black, generic, recycled tire, completely porus units for 20+ years. Bury them in mulch or dirt to protect them from sun. Cut out bad areas. There are 3 types I have seen, Completely porus made from old tires. The ones with holes every foot or so. And 1/4" drip irrigation pipe that you put in your Ts and holes that is usualy made from UV resistant plastic. My pressure is low, maybe 40lb. Animals will chew hose for water, squirells get mine all the time, Mulch or dirt over them is best as then Suns UV wont degrade them.

Reply to
ransley

Menard's has soaker/sprinkler hoses that are indistinguishable from the one that I found unsatisfactory. I bought one of their soaker (only -- porous but without the small squirt-holes) hoses and daisy-chained the repaired soaker/sprinkler hose to it. So far no problem.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

As I understand it, soaker hoses and sprinller hose do two separate things.

You may wish to look here;

Doug Brown

The one we had was described as both: it is porous but also has "squirt holes" along one side (designated by a colored stripe). If you want to soak, lay the hose stripe down; for sprinkling, lay it stripe up.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy