soaker hose question

I like the cheap black soaker hoses, but have this problem: They clog up. What worked fine early in the season goes down below a trickle to where hardly any water comes out. My suspicion is algae growth. The question is, how can I clear clogged soaker hose ? without waging chemical warfare on the veggies I will want to eat? I also like to place mulch on top of the soaker hoses and anyway later in the season pulling the soaker hose is not really an option - too disruptive. Any bright ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Fritz Oppliger

This is a question I've wondered for some time now. I just get up off my ass & water the lawn since I'm lacking a sprinkler system, which would be a cure for the clogged soaker hose, I'd imagine. Maybe the remedy would be to poke your own (larger) holes in the hose yourself.

Reply to
rastapasta

Maybe get the kind that seep all over rathern than the kind with little holes intemittently poked in them

Reply to
SVTKate

Well it is the kind ... a rubberized web type of thing with holes of various sizes. Either the fabric or rubber? swells up or algae grow to obstruct the holes.

They work fine when first installed in spring but deliver less and less water as the season goes on. To the point of having to run them ON solid. Next season the cycle repeats, with the same hoses, no treatment. I like them because they are cheap, and are a good (re-)use of rubber.

Reply to
Fritz Oppliger

The kind of hose SVTKate is speaking of has no "holes". The hose casing gets wet from the inside, and soaks through to the outside. Even if there were a coating of some kind of organic material inside (as you seem to think you have), it wouldn't prevent it from functioning.

Normally these hoses come with a small, plastic disk at the coupling to regulate the flow of water -- inexpensive pressure regulators of sorts. Perhaps the hole in this disk is clogged? Or if the disk is missing, perhaps a solid clump of debris is preventing water from passing to the rest of the hose.

You could try removing the disk, and opening the capped end of the hose, and try flushing it out. Or with a female to female adapter, you could attach the water supply to the normally capped end, and back-flush out the soaker hose.

Reply to
Warren

It must be the type of hose you are using. I have soaker hose that has been in the ground, under mulch for 10 years. Still works just fine.

Mine is the recycled tire type that that the water just seeps through. The only problem I have had was breaks - usually self inflicted. Wrap it with duct tape and still good as new.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Earth Quencher

2 hoses 50' long, $9.28 for the pair at Sams Club.
search soaker hose

I have no trouble with mine, they are in my garden and buried under mulch in my flower beds. Everything that Warren said is EXACTLY right.

Perfect description. Thanks Warren

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate