Need recommendation for new top-loading washer

GE Model WHRE5550K1WW has 4-6 inches of water in tub after running normal cycle. I tried setting it again to drain/spin and not still draining. Below are generic troubleshooting tips from searching online. Anyone had this experience witha GE High Efficiency model like this one? Photo here... along with comments I could have written....

u-ft.html

If the washer won't drain water the drain pump might be defective. It's also common for a small sock or other article of clothing to get caught in the drain pump or in the drain hose. Check both for an obstruction before replacing the pump.

If the washer won't drain water check the drain hose. Be sure the hose did not get kinked behind the washer. Also, remove the hose from the pump and check it for obstructions.

If the washer won't drain there might be a clogged pump or hose. It's common for small socks or other small clothing items to get into the water drain system and clog the hose leading to the pump or the pump itself. Remove the hoses from the pump in order to remove the article of clothing. Keep in mind that any water in the washer will pour out of the hoses when removed.

If the washer won't drain, should check the drive belt. If the belt is broken or if it isn't tight on the pulleys the washer won't drain properly, if at all.

If the washer won't drain the lid switch assembly might be defective. This is a very common problem. The lid switch assembly can fail either mechanically or electrically. Test any electrical switches with an Ohm meter for continuity. The switches should have continuity according to their design.

If the washer won't drain water check the drain hose. Be sure the hose did not get kinked behind the washer. Also, remove the hose from the pump and check it for obstructions.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

On 06/15/2015 12:23 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote: ...

We replaced a 20-yo GE w/ another a few years ago...it hasn't had a failure, but it doesn't wash nearly as well as the older and has a high-speed spin cycle that sounds like an F-4 Phantom on carrier takeoff prep just prior to catapult release. I don't expect it'll last 10 yr, what more 20 or more...no recommendation.

Reply to
dpb

That's mine too and that high speed is another concern. That front panel is so thin you can spit through it. Something comes loose from the spinning assy, or something near it shakes loose and falls into it, the thing would blow thru that door and tear up anything in its path.

There are 3-4 drain "cycles" -- if you can call 5 seconds a cycle -- every time something drains. The first time the pump starts, it runs until something shuts it off really suddenly and shakes the flloor. 2nd time it's not as hard, then 3rd and 4th are fairly quiet. I thought it could be caused by water backing up in the drain standpipe, but when I ran it outside, it did the same thing.

If it got the clothes clean, then fine, but it doesn't. Also not intuitive (or easy to find "real" instructions) for basic tasks, like how to stop it and get it to drain out what's in the tub.

The whole machine is a piss poor design job.

By the way, the problem that I posted here about turned out to be the lovely wife had filled up the tube, stopped it and washed a bedspread by hand in the tub because it wouldn't fill up enough to get the whole thing wet.

This machine is joke. We've got 4-5 years out of it -- that's good enough for me. Will sell it thru craigslist while we can demonstrate that it works. I won't feel comfortable selling it without telling the buyer what he's getting. So that means I'll practically have to give it away -- which is still well worth it. Cheaper than having the garbage truck pick it up.

One more time -- GE is a LOUSY company to allow this kind of crap to be sold -- and then to have their customer service people lie about it.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Happens all the time if I don't clear the lint trap in my sink. The water drains too slow and something in the washer shuts down. Looks very similar to model pictured but I've had it about 5 years.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I keep forgetting to add this.... In all my years using a "real" top-loader - the older ones that actually washed the clothes and got them clean - I never had any problems with musty or sour smells coming from the tub.

With this GE Model WHRE5550K1WW, after using it for 2-3 weeks, it develops a sour stinking smell. Mfr recommends washing it with one of their expensive cleaners once a month. I typically run a load of cleaning rags with bleach and that takes care of it most of the time. But even after doing that, there is always has a faint sour smell.

Avoid HE washers, GE in particular.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

We've had our Maytag for about a year now. They recommend a cleaning cycle every so many cycles, tell you by lighting an Led. I always let it go longer, but do use the tablet cleaner. So far, no odor and it does get the clothes clean.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

top-loader - the older ones that actually washed the clothes and got them clean - I never had any problems with musty or sour smells coming from the tub.

develops a sour stinking smell. Mfr recommends washing it with one of their expensive cleaners once a month. I typically run a load of cleaning rags with bleach and that takes care of it most of the time. But even after doing that, there is always has a faint sour smell.

It would be interesting to find out what's in these tablets. There should be a Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) number listed somewhere on the package. Or if not, a phone number or website where you can get it. Then look it up online.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I would definitely NOT consider any machine that had an electronic control panel. A good old rotary dial control with a motor to turn the indicator i s more or less immune to most 120V AC power problems, while electronic cont rollers are, in my experience, prone to failures due to power line problems .

Reply to
hrhofmann

Speedqueen?

While what you say is true, are there any other machines that do not have some amount of electronics? Same with dishwashers. If=t is getting very difficult to find anything that has no electronics in it. This ain't your 55 Chevy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney posted for all of us...

Are you pooping in it or your shorts got a lot of skiddies? Make sure it's level and the drain is clear. Wash mixtures have changed over the years too and the gov't has outlawed the real crud busters.

Reply to
Tekkie®