Frozen 3-Handle Shower Diverter Valve

Got a 40 year old Delta 3-handle setup in a fiberglass tub/shower. For the last 20+ years, the diverter valve has been left permanently in the "up/shower" position and has frozen/corroded that way. Can't turn it at all to run the water through the tub spigot.

Further problem is the slot head of the screw that holds the plastic handle on the diverter valve body started to strip when I tried to remove it .

Not sure how to proceed. Put a big pipe wrench on the diverter handle and try to force it? Grind the screw head off? Call a plumber :-(

There's no shut-off valve to the tub. And access to the pipes behind the shower is extremely difficult- up through the attic and then drop down behind the wall into a very narrow space that is filled eight feet deep with blown-in insulation!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Might try soaking with liquid wrench over several days and tap with a rawhide or nylon mallet -- see if it breaks loose. Soak the screw also and try again. YMMV

Reply to
Oren

On 6/17/2019 10:48 AM, Oren wrote: ...

Vinegar probably do more good against the hard water deposits...or, never tried it for this, but the cola soda soak might be good...there is the commercial CLR for Calcium-Lime-Rust but I've had little luck with it. Lime Away has some hyrdrochloric acid.

Reply to
dpb

First question is, do you really need to move the handle? How about installing a shower head fixture that includes a removable spray wand? That could be laid down and would fill the tub, though slowly.

If the backside is accessible from the attic after removing the insulation, all things considered, at least it is an option. Problem I see is that whatever you can spray on isn't likely to penetrate to where it's needed and it's likely frozen from calcium and the like. Maybe put some vinegar in via the shower head pipe, let it soak for a day or two? That might dissolve the minerals. Then put a pipe or pipe wrench on the handle and torque away. How lucky do you feel today?

Oh, and like Ed said, if there is a spot where shutoff to the bathroom can be added without too much trouble, might want to do that first. What kind of piping is this? Copper I hope?

Reply to
trader_4

Tapping is very important. Every day at least. While you're soaking it in whatever, I think you can tap pretty hard, with something harder and heavier than rawhide, so hard the parts vibrate, which makes the liquid wrench etc seep farther in. Just not so hard you'll actually break parts.

Reply to
micky