bath/shower diverter valve "O" ring ?

For a while now, the shower diverter valve in the bath tap has been sticking in the shower position - with "hilarious" results ...

Finally, with all plumbing tools at hand for another job, I decided to take a look.

The entire diverter assembly was easy enough to remove and the problem - dirty/dry plunger - easily remedied.

Of course nothing is that simple.

Seems there's an "O" ring which was brittle and just broke on removal :(

No problem I thought. I have this box of assorted O rings, fibre washers and other gubbins for just such occasions ......

The fact I'm posting this tells you that *of course* I didn't have anything remotely near to what's needed ;) (I managed to bodge a temporary fix by cunning use of twisted PTFE tape, which is serviceable. ).

Does anyone know if there is a standard sizing ? Is this something that I can feel confident a trip to a "plumbers merchants" will bear fruit ? Or

- as a last resort - is there a £5 assorted O ring kit I can order which should include the part ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My experience is that a £5 kit does not have anything like enough different sizes to cover all eventualities. As Jim says, hopefully there's enough of the old ring left for you to be able to measure it. Better still, is the tap a known brand that has spares available?

Otherwise, prepare to install a new tap and understand why I prefer the two part taps that have 'legs'.

Reply to
GB

Old seal disintegrated, and tap has no manufacturer markings.

That's not going to happen. Even if I was winning the lottery jackpot every week, it'll be a cold day in hell before I spend £100 for the lack of a 50p seal.

Next time I'm down "plumbers merchants alley" near us (5 shops in a 1 mile stretch) I'll pick their brains. Although last time I did that not one of them had ever seen the waste fitting I needed. Which was why I through I'd ask here first ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's plan A. What's plan B?

Reply to
GB

That would be telling :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How hard would it be for everyone to use a few standard sizes of everyth= ing? Why should a car have 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 1=

3mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 20mm bolts? Why not just pick = three of those?

-- =

He'll be coming in her crevice when he comes, he'll be coming in her crevice when he comes, when he's coming in her crevice, his pole's the size of Nevis, he'll be coming in her crevice when he comes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword