Stuck Delta Faucet Handle (2023 Update)

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Devon Heron wrote: I let liquid wrench soak over-night and didn't help... saw an earlier comment on this thread and used the Creme-brulee torch (didn't harm the chrome) on the set-screw for 30 seconds. (2 tries).. then the screw finally started to move... now I have a fancy twisted hex-wrench! :-)

Reply to
Devon Heron

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Catherine wrote: I bet you feel like a big boy now!

Reply to
Catherine

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Woodchuck wrote: What is your point? Have setscrews stopped sticking on Delta faucet handles? Or are you saying that all possible ways of freeing stuck setscrews have already been presented here? I ask this because I have a stuck setscrew on a Delta kitchen faucet this evening, 11/16/2016, and I found Devon Herin's post from seven (7) months ago helpful and encouraging.

Reply to
Woodchuck

replying to mm, DB wrote: Thanks for the post! Out set screw was stuck, was about to use a torch but was not sure if that was going to ruin the handle, was also thinking about drilling out the screw but then would have to find a compatible handle.

Read this post - then used a dish towel and wrench and easily losened the big round nut, then the handle and ball came right off! After replacing the gaskets and springs we tighened the nut down by hand and then used the dish towel and wrench to tighten it down slowly until it was all the way down (flush). No more drip drip drip! Thanks!

Reply to
DB

Just yesterday I had almost the same problem, a frozen screw that holds the handle onto the cartridge on a two handled Delta kitchen faucet. The screw had a one piece Phillips head and washer. I don't know if the problem was between the under surface of the washer and the inset in the handle or between the threads of the screw and the threaded hole in the top of the cartridge but the screw would not move. After an unsuccessful soak with WD40, and brute strength with long nose pliers across the edges of the washer, I put a 1/4" drill bit on my electric drill and ground away the screw head to where the crossed slots were just barely visible. I changed to a 3/8" drill bit and carefully started drilling deeper to grind away some of the thickness of the central 2/3 of the washer. Using a normal width (3/16") screwdriver, I carefully tried to pry up the periphery of the washer all around the circumference of the washer. I again put the long nose pliers across the washer and voila, it turned easily. Don't know if the vibration of the drilling did it, the WD40 finally penetrated and loosened whatever was stuck, or if I really got better purchase on the edge of the washer with the pliers. In any case, problem solved. I easily found a replacement set screw in my jar of spare machine screws. Replacing the spring and rubber valve seat ($2.49 at HD) and cleaning a small deposit of crud off the polished metal bottom of the cartridge cured the drip.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

It always amazes me how often people immediately jump to WD-40.

Why would you think that a stuck screw in a faucet would be freed up with WD-40?

If it was rusted in place, I'd try a penetrating catalyst such as PB-Blaster. If it was stuck due to mineral deposits, I'd use vinegar.

It does not surprise me at all that the WD-40 "soak" was unsuccessful. I'll put my money on the "vibration" from all your other efforts eventually breaking the bond. The WD-40 may have "lubed" things up once the bond was broken, but I doubt it was main reason that you got the screw out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to DB, JB wrote: Put LCR right out of the bottle on the screw. It took about 45 minutes of this to break the bond.

Reply to
JB

replying to John Keiser, Hackin' through wrote: I just had two faucets with the same problem - hot water side on both, a lot of calcium carbonate deposit. Soaking in vinegar seemed to have no effect. Then I

1) sprayed on some liquid wrench, 2) waited an hour, 2) put in a _high quality_ hex wrench (a bit-type that fits a 1/4 inch drive), 3) tapped it a few times with a hammer to try to vibrate-out some of the stuck-ness, 4) put some pressure in both directions a few times (clockwise/tighten and counterclockwise/loosen), then 5) went for it, to loosen. Sink #1: The set screw came out, nothing damaged. Sink #2: The high quality hex bit broke in the set screw. The broken piece stuck out enough that it was easy to extract. Back to the hardware store to take advantage of the bit's lifetime guarantee!
Reply to
Hackin' through

replying to Hackin' through, Hackin' through wrote: ... Sink #2, the saga continues: Per another web page, I tried unscrewing it using at TORX screwdriver that fit the hex hole snugly. Now I have a broken TORK tip wedged in the set screw hole. BUT - looking at the handle I had been able to remove, I saw that the set screw just pressed against the faucet cartridge stem (not going into any notable indentation. I was able to pull the chrome cover straight up by wiggling it back and forth, and wedging q-tip stems under it as space was created. So now it is off, although the set screw still has the TORX tip jammed inside. I wish I had thought to force it up before jamming up the set screw; with the handle off (the cartridge stem no longer in the way), I could have just screwed the set screw in until it went all the way through..

Reply to
Hackin\' through

Easy to fix. Do you want to have these problems in the future? No. Go to the plumbing supply, buy a nice Kohler faucet and replace the crap in there. Once and done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hey! THIS WORKED !!! Only, I used a hair dryer on high pointed into setscrew hole for about 2 minutes, then a couple short squirts with the liquid air. AND IT FINALLY CAME LOOSE! I did soak in WD-40 first but that didn't seem to do the trick, but maybe both things what made it work. YAY!

Reply to
Jim

all you need to do is use wd40 or vinegar to clean the corrosion of the head of the 3/32 screw- then using a pick or a pointy file, you want to clear out all the hard water build up or rust, and once the gunk is cleared, a hex screw will fit perfectly and your problem is solved. ill double check which hex screw i used...but soak with wd40 then clean gunk so hex can seat properly

Reply to
Brian Fisher

use a pointy file or knife to scrape out the hard water corrision, once that gunk is gone, you allen or for me a hex screw fit perfectly

Reply to
BFIFTY1FIFTY