Blew Out/Burnt Up My Miter Saw - Suggestions Wanted

On 1/13/2017 7:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

But Zoro says one day free shipping. Think of the added value. Its cheap SOBs like you that put Sears out of business.
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 8:47:13 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You are right. I apologize to all Sears-Heads across the globe. As penance, I'll buy 2 saws from Zoro and donate one to the crews that will dismantling all the Sears stores over the next few years.
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe check this out... can't hurt - http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/5956106303.html
He doesn't say what brand/model it is. I'd ask how it got broken!
If the saw IS new, there may be some warranty remaining and can get it repaired or replaced, if it's a reasonable name brand of saw in the first place.
Sonny
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 1:41:58 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

I may check it out, but I don't need a 12" saw nor do I think it will fit within the confines of my shop.
Thanks, though.
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

s, who makes

Check out the DeWalt 713. I have used mine for about 20+ years on the job and it has made >>literally<< thousands of cuts on too many job sites to co unt. I need to replace it as last year the plastic carry handle broke off after the loading it in the truck for the umpteenth time.
It is a 15 amp saw which is plenty of power for an old fashioned thick bodi ed multitooth blade to zip through hardwood molding. I has a a blade brake , and the highest capacity for cutting material such as baseboards, etc. of any non sliding miter saw. The movable fences are high enough to be usefu l, and will nest most common crown moldings with no problem. Best of all f or me, it has adjustable fine tuning detentes for common angles that are he ld by a heavy duty stainless plate. It does not lock into an aluminum fram e for the miter angles, but into the stainless plate; the stainless plate w ill adjust to get your cuts to the last hair of perfect you can squeeze out of it. It also has an over-travel feature that will let you cut and bevel a couple of more degrees than your standard 45 degree miter. Good stuff w hen applying molding to unsquare or misshapen surfaces. The "D" style hand le makes it easier to use all day than the old pistol grip style and it fee ls better in the hand to me.
Since the initial adjustment/fine tuning of the saw to meet unpainted crown molding joint standards (mine), it has never fallen out of adjustment afte r all the use.
I used the Makita 10" slider and it was a wonderful saw. However, sliders in my experience aren't as accurate as fixed miters. and if they are, they don't stay that way. It was too awkward to take to the job site, and moving it around changed the accuracy of the cuts which annoyed me to no end. If you are applying molding that is clear finished, you can't worry about the moldings having any kind of gaps. Needing the larger capacity on rare occa sion, I bought the DeWalt 716 dual bevel that is the big brother of the 713 . I got rid of the Makita. Due to the amount of real estate they consume to store and operate, I don't have any of my compadres that use sliders any more on the job site. Some in their shops, but then only the 10" models. The 12" seems to have gone the way of the radial saw.
As always, YMMV.
Robert
DerbyDad03 wrote:

When my old saw died, I got a reconditioned 12 inch Ridgid non slider. I like the 12 incher for cutting larger timber. The laser on it is useless to me. One downside: The aluminum fence bowed. Easy to fix. I glued 1/2" boards on each side and took the fence off and trued it on the jointer. came with a clamp to hold a wood stop for repeat cuts of the same length. I really like the angle adjustment and it has a good dust collection. It never leaves the shop. It is mounted in a lowered section of the long work table on the side of my shop so the wood to be cut lies on the worktable and the saw.
--
GW Ross

Bosch has both 10" and 12" saws that use a heavy-duty double hinge, instead of sliding bars. And I recently saw a 10" Hitachi that has the sliding bars in front, instead of behind.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:24:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

The Bosch has an articulated arm that doesn't take any space behind and green's entry has the slides the opposite direction, also saving the space behind.
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-gcm12sd-33969-p/ http://festoolusa.com/power-tools/miter-saws/kapex-ks-120-sliding-compound-miter-saw-561287

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:30:58 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Welcome to the party! Both saws have already been suggested, although others have suggested the 10" Bosch, not the 12" version.
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-cm10gd-48431-p/

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:24:39 -0800 (PST)

get this
http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/combination-machines/combination-machine-new-cf-741-s-professional.html
plus you get some other tools with it