I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

The double-bevel deal means that the table rotates 45d left/right AND the saw itself tilts 45d left and right. Look down at the saw, the blade pivots to the left/right; look straight at the saw and the blade rotates 45d clockwise and counter-clockwise.

Oodles of other stuff is on sale: 7-function multimeter for $2.00 is an example or a 1/4 and 3/8 socket set for $4.00. Things to stick in the toolbox for those rare occasions when you run into an unexpected need.

I presume the saw will function as expected. When I get the sucker home, and set up, I'll report back on any surprises (positive or negative).

If you don't hear from me, you may assume a) No surprises, or b) I'm laid up in the hospital.

Reply to
HeyBub

Didn't we just go through this? Do you really think that a $119 HF saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90 days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality of the tool right there.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

When you come back to tell us about your new saw, will it be after a side-by-side, feature-by-feature comparison with the Bosch?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Excellent points.

Buy quality and cry once ? buy cheap and cry forever.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You made an excellent point too... I recall my mom saying my dad (in the business) bought a lot of tools before or about the time I was born when they didn't really have the money and bought the best or near the best tools at the time. Well, as far as I know, he never had to replace them tho he did have to do minor maintenance on them thru the years. Bottom line... buying quality is worth your while. I have some of them now tho I don't use them much and gave some away.

Reply to
Doug

Doug wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sometimes buying lower quality allows you to lay out less, test the techniques with that machine, and buy higher quality when you want to. Sort of going from a biscuit joiner to a Domino (g,d,r).

Reply to
Han

Well, other than containing the words "miter", "saw", "bevel", etc., I'd not say it'll likely be "comparable" to the Bosch (or DeWalt, even).

Serviceable, perhaps...

Reply to
dpb

It's *NOT* comparable.

Have fun! ;-)

Reply to
krw

If that were the way I worked, I'd *never* buy a Domino. I have a biscuit joiner and hate the thing. OTOH, I haven't bought a Domino, either. Yet. ;-)

No, I'm a long-time member of the pain-once club.

Reply to
krw

You've obviously never used true professional grade tools.

Reply to
devnull

There are plus's and minus's to every strategy. Does a $200 saw really cut 2x4's better then a $30 saw if you are just slapping up framing? My dad worked construction all his life and went thru several iterations of tools. He had to keep in mind the likelihood of it getting stolen, how often it would need fixing, the cost, the weight, etc. For some things, like a "skillsaw" he concluded it made a lot more sense to just buy a cheap one and if it was shot at the end of the project then just go buy a new one. Lots less hassle then worrying about a helper breaking it, or someone stealing it, or the time and trouble of taking it somewhere for repair plus the better ones, at least at that time, weighed a lot more then the cheap ones and were more tiring to use. I'd definitely get the HF double swivel saw if it would serve the needs of my one or two times I might ever need it. Surely you'd know within the 30 day window if it's a dud and could take it back and buy a better one for 3 or 4 times the price.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If you're just slapping up framing you don't need an SCMS.

Nonsense. I know of no tradesman that buys HF circular saws. There

*IS* a difference and time is money.

They might not buy a Festool, either, but I haven't seen any that didn't buy Makita, DeWalt, or similar.

Attempted goal post relocation noted.

Reply to
krw

I do have an HF (10") SCMS. I also have a Bosch 5312. While there is a world of difference, I still use the HF to whack 2x4s. I don't care if it gets wet. ;-)

Reply to
krw

$60? You buy cheap blades.

It's on sale, too!

Reply to
krw

Framing cut with a $152 blade will look real nice...right up until the time you cover it with drywall or sheathing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I bought my hitachi, it came with a rough low tooth count blade. Just what was recommended cutting my plastic decking. Still got some melted polystyrene on blade though !

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You don't want to get a splinter, do you? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Perfect scenario. Cheap tools have a place. For the guy putting in a couple of closet shelves, the HF tools get the job done, but it is not what the cabinet maker will want.

A few years back I wanted to try my hand at woodworking. I bought a cheap Craftsman bench top saw. I used it for a year, found that I was pretty good at woodworking and enjoyed it. Then I bought a Delta with a Biesemeyer fence and it was like getting out of the Ford Pinto and into a Lamborghini.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Using a hammer is less painful, though.

Reply to
krw

Using a hammer on a hand is less painful? I'm not so sure about that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought a 12" Bosch about 4 years ago. Looked hard at the Makita but got the Bosch. Glad I did. For me (age 71) it's almost orgasmic to use a tool that's designed and built as well. It's just a real pleasure to use. I've owned others but none as good. My old Kraut father taught me to always buy right once. I glad he did. That said, I now wish I got the 10" slider instead of the 12". It's really a big SOB.

Reply to
Dick Keats